Friday, March 31, 2006

Lament

I finished my 50 slide presentation 2 days ago. I looked at it again today and realize that there is probably lots of information that no one cares about. I have decided to remove that information and reduced the presentation to 38 slides. According to my estimates, I will be going after a short presentation time of about 30 minutes. Perhaps longer if there are questions.

I did my department wide presentation 3 weeks ago. The funny thing is that I had the chance to talk to someone that listened to my talk to hear his opinion from me. Most of the other presentations by Japanese students have slided loaded with big charts and text boxes with arrows pointing all over the place. The speaker ends up pointing all over the place with the lazer pointer while rambling on.

As for me, I am very different in the sense that I keep my slides sparse with only the few main points that I want to make. The person that I spoke to told me that he liked my presentation but his professor told him that it wasn't good to have slides that are so empty.

Perhaps there is a point to what the professor wants to make. I'm not sure but from my point of view, I'd rather be easily understood rather than just looking grand with fancy text boxes with arrows pointing all over the place.

2 comments:

Wrazn said...

I think I like your way better.

There should be an etiquette for slide presentations, or some sort of protocol.

Bouncing lasers are distracting, don't use animations for the sake of having them, don't read off your slides. Something along those lines.

Good luck with the presentation.

Paladiamors said...

Thanks much, yeah. I prefer simple too!