Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dilemma

House warming party Saturday. I've already told about 8~10 people that I'd invite them over. The problem is that my roomies have decided to limit the number of guests that we each can bring down to 5. Crap! Now how the hell am I going to choose?

In other news. I bombed my presentation, but that's OK. One of the professors had a great time chewing me out but I could care less (and there is a bit of a story behind that too). I now have a reputation for good and horrible presentations. I couldn't care less.

I learned far more by bombing then I did by doing a "good job." Presentations here are rather formal in the sense that people seem to expect that they are to know the answer; anything less is embarrasing. Not knowing isn't embarrasing, not learning is embarrasing. I think that is the subtle difference.

Pictures of the home later on. Will post some pictures of the new place later on. Will start working on my moving in experience post later on (and will post plenty of pictures :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin!
Remember me?! it's Garmy!
I finally remembered AND had time to check out people's blogs. How are you doing? Currently, I'm sick. People around me gave me the "bug." Argh!!

Wow, it looks like i have a LOT of catching up to do. And you write so much too!! Have you been caught up with any current news within the our group? Here's the summary: ...nothing is new. LOL - well nothing life altering anyways. :)

Anyways, presentations are a difficult thing to judge unless you get a chance to explain yourself (which doesn't happen often). In Western culture, ppt slides should be simple and straight to the point. I guess, in Japan, flair and "showing off" is what is accepted and expected. Maybe what's on the slides shows what you know, which isn't the case in North America.

You should find out who your audience is and figure out what they expect. Then you could tailor your presentation towards them. That way you can get good "marks." But it's a fine line between getting creative & going against the norm and following the crowd & being accepted.

Wishing you all the luck!!
And don't forget about us in Richmond - we think and talk about you all the time, as if you're still here ;)

Later!
Gee

Anonymous said...

Hey, what the hell... how come I wasn't invited to your housewarming?!

;)

Paladiamors said...

Hey Gee,

Long time no read. Glad to hear a little news from the gang at home. I'm pretty sure that there has been lots of small things going on. It will be nice to catch up with everyone upon my return.

Greets Ida,

Thanks for the advice. Actually, there comes a time when you just can't take things personally anymore. Just take it for what it is and move on... and do it in a way that isn't so callous.

Japan has changed my work ethic incredibly... before I could not work for extended periods of time back in Canada (yes, even in Fizz I goofed off plenty and I hardly spent any late nights at UBC). I still have to hone my working skills but when I find something I really like and do it really well... then, perhaps, I can be a superstar :)

Yo Sanders, here's your formal invite to the house warming party. Get your ass over here to Sendai on Saturday at 8:00 pm Japan time!