Thursday, April 20, 2006

Who do you think we are?

I am having a few small parts built for one of the vacuum machines. The problem, I think are the ceramic insulating spacers are coated with carbon depostis (conductive) causing sparking and messing up the plasma. Also one of the insulating spacers got cracked, meaning that some sparking is happening through the cracks which is also screwing with my plasma. If you want to know what a plasma looks like, here's what it looks like:

I am currently using a vacuum chamber, pumped out to about .01 Pascals and then hydrogen gas is flown in to the chamber till about 1 kiloPascal. A votlage of about 600V is applied between the red hot stage below and the electrodes on top, resulting in the purple plasma. Currently, systems like these are used to grow Carbon Nanotubes, which are up there in tensile strength in comparison to diamond (actually, even stronger).

Anyways, the long and short of the story is that I finished the mechanical drawings of the new spacers today (after much pain... CAD is not a friendly tool for a beginner). I picked up the phone and made a call to Tokyo, "Hi I'm from Tohoku University, I'd like to place an order." I hear a noisy background and the person on the other side of the phone tells me "one moment please." I get switched over and start talking again, "Hi, I'd like to place an order for some insulating ceramics."

"Huh?"
"Insulating ceramics? You know, against electricity and heat?"
The guy on the other side of the phone tells me "what kind of store do you think we are? This is a *RAMEN* (noodle) shop!" and the phone gets hung up with a clank.

Whoops, looks like I dialed the wrong number. I dialed again and got the right number and faxed off my drawings to the company. That little event made my day!

No comments: