Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Things that go "bump" in the night

3 am, I hear a loud thump from the kitchen of my room. Kuni are both awoken startled and proceed to investigate. Fortunately it wasn't a burgler, but a bag of apples that managed to fall from the top of the microwave (which was on top of the fridge) that hit the floor. Odd, I don't remember apples having feet or any sort of moving appendages that would give them any sort of mobility.

With that resolved, we return to our rooms... which are right beside each other and are only separated by a set of sliding doors through the middle. Neither of us could sleep so we spent the next hour chatting. By 4 am, I attempted to try and get some sleep... unfortunately it wasn't so "fruitful".

By 5 am, I had given up on the sleep, got out of bed (rather easily, I am surprised), cooked gyoza (probably woke up Kuni in the process) proceeded to eat breakfast and packed lunch for school. I departed and arrived at the lab by 6:00 am. Right as I arrived, I just realized that I forgot my student ID card that would let me get access to the building, just for kickes, I decided to check the side door into the lab and through the window, I found one of my colleagues at his desk half awake-- he spent the entire night at the lab running a process. Suffice to say, that he let me in.

After that, I grabed, my samples and was off to the electron beam microscope to take a look at a few samples I had made a week back. Took some pictures, returned to the lab... and goofed off for a little before heading into one of the laboratory rooms to get an experiment setup using an atomic force microscope.

I returned back into lab by 9:00 am because I am supposed to meet with a new guy that will be spending a month here from the US that will be working sort of under me for the next month. Unfortunately, the person hasn't showed yet so I am here waiting at my desk for him... and right now I am starting to get super sleepy. I think I'll be going home early tonight.

No comments: