Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Oh the pain! Japan vs Austrailia: World Cup

I left lab at about 8:30 yesterday to hit the bar with friends to catch the world cup game with Japan vs Austrailia. There were TV crews at the bar to film everyone's reactions while the game raged on... and so it raged. Lots of cheering, chanting and singing. It especially wild when Japan smacked a goal in the net during the first half of the game. The crowd went wild, my cell was ringing with instant messeges from friends watching the game at other places. I hugged atleast 3~4 random people. Crazy stuff.

In the second half during the last 10 minutes, Austrailia scores a goal when the goalie comes a little too far out to try to knock out a ball during a corner kick. What happens next is unbelieveable-- Austrailia comes back with 2 goals in the last 8 minutes to take Japan down 3-1. Suffice to say that everyone in the bar was heart broken to see the game end like this. It would have been a sure victory. Anyways, a good time was had. Next game, Saturday Japan vs Croatia.

I headed out for coffee with friends after the game at midnight... of an interesting note something of a "do you know Joe in Canada" event happened. Recently, I've been having lots of chance meetings where people know people. Last night, turns out one of the gals in the group heard that I was a student... promptly asks me:

"Are you in Tohoku University?"
"Yes"
"Are you in Engineering?"
"Yeah"
"Are you in Esashi Lab?"
"Um... yeah?"
"Do you know... (such and such)"
"Holy cow! Yeah"
We then shake hands.

Small world... small world indeed. I've also met a friend's date randomly and also met a long lost friend of 7 years in Sendai by chance too. Life never ceases to be interesting.

3 comments:

Wrazn said...

Grr, soccer. I was trying to sleep, and there were several someones watching the game downstairs in the common room.

Needless to say, I knew exactly when the game ended. And who won.

Paladiamors said...

Hey what were you doing in bed not watching the game!? Get out there and have some fun :) I had a great time watching the game~

Wrazn said...

It's called "sleep". Or attempting to be asleep. ;)

At the moment, it seems like "fun" is not in my vocabulary, for it has been trumped by the need for "sleep".