Monday, May 15, 2006

A small world called Sendai

Saturday, was one of my roomie's friend's going away party. I told my roomie that I was game and so off I went. The party was for an English teacher going back to Australia and the person going away is Andrea. Most of her friends going to the party were her workmates -- English teachers mainly.

Me looking asian, I decided to pretend that I was Japanese friend comming out to the party to play around with these English teachers. It would be hella fun! You guys out there know how much I love impersonating different accents, so I decided to put it to the test (and no, I was not drunk). We met in front of the store on the Saturday night, I told them my name was "Yuji" (wasn't lying there) and started off with my thick Japanese accent.

There was one slight problem however, one of the Japanese friends one of the English teachers brought out thought that I wasn't Japanese. Oh CRAP, could my cover be blown? Well I faked good enough Japanese for atleast 1.5 hours to pass as Japanese and kept the skeptable Japanese girl at bay.

We got into the restaruant and started drinking and eating. I started chatting with the other English teacher and tried my best to act stupid in the kind of nieve and linguistic way. It worked out for a while, the problem was that some of the English teachers caught on that I could understand English... I was understanding much more that the average Japanese English student does-- seriously, it's kind of tough acting dumb!

Eventually, my cover was blown when some people throught it was too suspicous that I understood too much English and then gave up the game and returned to my "normal self"... whatever that might be.

Of an interesting note, I did meet a nice waitress at the restraunt that spoke really good English and I was really intreagued that she could speak so well so I had to ask how did she manage to learn such good English (the part that caught me was that she was taking orders in English from the English teachers). Turns out that she lived in Canada for 4 years in a place called St. Catherine's. The interesting part was that my other room mate Kuni (Japanese guy) spent a year in Canada for about a year... I just had to ask the girl if she knew a guy named Kuni... turns out that she did... that she would be seeing him tomorrow. Kuni, my roomie had been going on and on all week about going on a date with some girl this weekend... lo and behold that I'd meet this girl.

I told her that my roomie "likes a good spanking from time to time so feel free to give him a whack or few," that and he really likes spicy "Chili" (my other roomie, Olympia made this really spicy Chili... after putting 100 ml of chili powder into the vat.. nearly killed Kuni while at it... hehehe... the things I do for personal entertainment, mwah ha ha ha ha ha).

Kuni is kind of a shy guy when it comes to his dates and his outings with his girls.. so I made for good effect to leave my number with the waitress gal and asked her to send me her number and e-mail sometimes so I could interrogate her with the details of the date (she had forgotten her cell at the time). Unfortunately she never did contact me later on. Damn, I was so looking forward to hearing what happened. As for Kuni... all he told me was that he and her "went out to a few secret places." Riiight.

Been kind of busy and will be looking busy through the week.

Wedensday: Club night themed at a place where the theme is "Cool and Sexy" (really curious what Japanese people consider "Cool and Sexy")

Thursday: Yakiniku --> fried meat party with friends

Saturday: Long boat competition and possibility of a BBQ.

In between the fun, I'm working at the lab :P

Pictures from Hokkaido later!

No comments: