Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Giving up 1/4 of my Fridays

I just got contacted by a volunteer friend of mine saying that they've got a job for me. Grade 12 student that needs an English tutor for a Friday once a month. 6:30 pm till 9:00 pm. Teaching starts at 7:00 pm, dinner included. The pay is $50 for the session. Subway travel time is about 10 mins one way (20 mins total). Would you take this job?

I was borderline on taking this job-- the lab is usually quite busy and I generally don't allow myself to work Friday evenings. The timing of the job isn't horrible, in Japan, parties and events go well past 9:00 pm in the evenings so I wouldn't be missing too much.

I will likely be taking the subway there (unless if scootering isn't there isn't so bad), round trip is $4. They will be throwing in a dinner along for the lesson to me, which is worth $6 to me. Assuming that the total time spent on this lesson is 3 hours, I'm making a $17/hour for this gig. All things considered, this is on the low side for me... I charge $25/hour for my time and most of my work takes about 10 minutes round trip... either that or my work is on the way out from school.

This student lives out in a place I've never been to, a bit north of central Sendai, it might be an interesting adventure to take a look out there. That and I've never taught a Gr. 12 student in Japan. It might be interesting to see what kind of students these people are. The family could be interesting too... There are more things to judging work than just the salary. It could be interesting... but then I'm giving up some free time (for research or play) for this. But you know what? Nothing ventured, nothing gained. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: