Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Saving the Planet!

Oh nooo! Everyone is leaving and I'm acquiring all their left over stuff. There are so many nice things being thrown out, like dishes, utensils, left over spices, hardly used pots and pans (for people that didn't end up cooking all that much)... and much more. The thing is that everyone moving out feels really bad about throwing things that are perfectly usable away... so what's happening instead is that friends are dropping by to give me left over stuff.

What kind of stuff?
I now have 4 TVs (here are 3)

I've got 4 fans (one not in the picture, and there's the other TV)

I've got a second oven and a bunch of pots and pans
And a crap load of sugar and spice!

I've got more too, like a cordless phone, a chair, nice speakers (which I bought from a friend for $30), candy, olive oil, 3 bottles of honey (all from different people), baking equipment, plates and more.

It's going to be a give away fest when the new students start comming in from different countries. It'll be a nice way to meet the new students... "hey, need some stuff?"

I remember the first time when I got here... the volunteer group attending to the new international students gave us a face cloth, a coffee cup and a few maps and that's all I started off with. It took me a few weeks to find my way around this place before getting used to where everything was (that and walking everywhere on foot didn't help either). Atleast when I give stuff away they'll start off running!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, your room looks like a store room now *grin*.

Anonymous said...

aren't there places that will take second hand things in Japan? Like we have the 2nd hand shops and Salvation Army's over here? I guess you can't give away the food...not even our desparate food banks would want those!

Paladiamors said...

There are second hand shops in Japan, actually even more so in Japan than in Canada. The only problem is that the stores are kind of far and it is kind of hard to send big goods like TVs and etc without a car, which most students here dont't have.

Paladiamors said...

Oh yeah I so intend on doing that :)

Anonymous said...

Oh geez, if only you lived next door. I'll need all those sorts of things for next month! Is there a Craig's list in Japan?

Paladiamors said...

There is a Craig's list in Japan actually. It's for Yokohama and Tokyo I believe. Nothing for Sendai unfortunatey.

Well, you could try asking friends if their family have old furniture and stuff that you might be able to use. If not that, then a used furniture store or even bean bag furniture might work out too (oooh beanbag furniture is kind of fun actually ;P)