Sunday, August 07, 2005

I can't believe it's not English!

I was at fireworks yesterday which was an hour train ride from Sendai to a place called Ishinomaki. I'll have an album up soon of what I've been up to. But I thought I'd show off this little gem of Japanese Engrish.

I was sleeping on the train on the way back from fireworks when I woke and looked up at the advertisments on the top of the train (like the advertisments you have at the top of the inside of a bus). I did a double take because I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I even had to ask a friend to double check the spelling on his electronic dictionary and yup, lo and behold, my eyes were not playing tricks on me.

I offer you this!

Click on the image for a bigger view-- the Drug lords in Japan are into weddings!

Good times were had. Just imagine all the strange looks when an Asian, a German and a Russian walks over in front of the people sitting below the poster to take a close up shot of this picture.

Snip Snip

I also had my hair cut recently (again). This is my second time having my hair cut in Japan. The first hair cut didn't turn out as well as I hoped... so the second time around, I brought my laptop to the barber with a picture of me with a good haircut. Unfortunately it didn't turn out like I showed the barber either. I might have to find another barber and see if I fare better the next time around.

The hair cut isn't all that bad really, short hair is good for me since it is really hot over here. We're breaking 34 degrees here with high humidity, which makes for yucky stickyness.

T-3 weeks to entrance exams.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin get a grip! Heroin also means a female hero! It's not that funny! The Japanese also use it to refer to the 'star female' in movies and theatre productions--which is what the ad is probably referring to (as in 'look and feel like a star in your wedding').
But I can understand how when it's the first thing you see you do a bit of a double take...

Paladiamors said...

Greets Patti,

"Heroine" <--- the female hero
"Heroin" <--- that's the drug

They forgot the "e" :)

Wrazn said...

Dude, you've got to stay away from the lawnmowers and weedwhackers.

:D

(Heh, I'd be ribbing you either way, whether you cut your hair or not, but I think you know that.)