Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Some notes on web programming

It seems to be taking forever for my web domain to get registered. After registering for a webhost on Sunday, 2 days have passed and my application to get a web domain is still pending. Not particularly happy about that but there isn't much else I can do except wait, though 2 days seems like an eternity to me.

While doing the waiting, I am looking into the following things:
  • How to setup an Apache server and get CGI includes for Python working
  • How to create interactive applications for webpages
  • How to manage data using a SQL type database
  • How to create web applications on infrastructure on the Google App Engine or Amazon's EC2
  • How to program websites with AJAX (since I don't like web pages reloading on me after doing a query)
  • How to use Python to generate html templates or generate CSS templates through Python
  • How to create menus, buttons and images through programs since I am too lazy to use things like Photoshop to do tasks like these manually
I have a feeling that we are going to see a trend away from desktop data management happening as online servers will be dealing with data management and home computers will become more like clients in the future.

No comments: