Monday, February 14, 2011

Foray into web publishing

I've finally broken down and bought an account at a webhost today. The site I chose was iPage, which allowed me to register with them, get a free domain name and hosting for a year for $54. Not bad considering that I now want to learn the basics of hosting web content on the net. I've done this kind of stuff before, but on my personal machine in the past. If I am to create more intricate web pages and possibly applications, I should learn how to host them on the internet, which means learning how to use a webhost.

I made one mistake with registering with these guys however, the problem being that they do not have SSH access into their servers, meaning that I cannot run command line related stuff to check the version of the software they have, but they seem to have a large repository of interesting packages to play around with. Later on, I may see about using Google's app engine or Amazon's EC2 frameworks for scalable software. It will take me time to learn things but I think there is interesting work to be done in this field. This blog may or may not move, but I am in the process of registering my own domain name and interested in developing my own web presence.

No comments: