Monday, February 14, 2011

Contemplating getting a macbook

The last time I was in Canada, I was back home to be the best-man for a friend's wedding. My dad, being a Mac convert had a few Macs lying around the house and I found out that their iMovie software was pretty damn good and made a slideshow movie through using the software. I was thoroughly impressed with the bundle of good media software with the Mac. It is as if the Macs were specifically designed for media kind of work. I never thought twice about getting a Mac since I switched over to Ubuntu-Linux, which is a packaged version of Linux. For free, it's pretty damn good and has nearly all of the basic functionality I need.

I've noticed, recently there are some rough edges that need some smoothing out, mainly in the section of professional software. The great thing about linux software is that it is free and they work pretty well-- I can pretty much do nearly just as much, if not more on a linux machine compared to a windows box, for free and even better. I really like how fast Ubuntu boots up, how quickly I can log in and how responsive the machine is even right after logging in (there isn't very heavy background software loading after you log in). It's pretty tight software. The only thing that is lacking, perhaps is a really good video editing suite or media management editing suite. The one thing that I liked about Apple software is the level of polish that goes into the software available for the Macs-- they simply work and usually are quite cutting edge.

Compared with the Microsoft ecosystem of software, I've found that looking for windows based software on the internet to be rather spammy and sometimes the software sites on the net can sometimes even seem a little dubious. Perhaps it is a result of a smaller and tighter-knit Apple perhaps? I am not entirely sure, but we are starting to see something similar happening to the iPhone/iTouch app store where sometimes dubious software sometimes does pop up (though putting software up there is done through an approval process which has wrought ire from some people).

Anyways, there is a bit of a premium when it comes to buying Mac hardware, but since the base of their software is Linux based, it shouldn't be too hard for me to pick up. The question is if I want to start off with a laptop or just an iMac mini (which I think it kind of pricy at $799!).

No comments: