Monday, February 14, 2011

I need to certify myself as fluent in Japanese

Learning a second language is a pain in the ass, especially when you have access to internet in English. It's a terrible habit of mine, that I exist in a bubble of English and use my Japanese only when necessary. For being here for 5 years, I should be able to do better.

I've also been looking at new job opportunities, people that speak both English and Japanese fluently have a leg up, there are lots of interesting opportunities out here to work in a multinational firm or setup new businesses, especially when foreign companies need people that understand the culture and want to setup base here. I have had my nose buried too deep in work and haven't been working on my Japanese as seriously as I should. My bad.

I want to raise my salary by 25~50% by the end of this year by improving my Japanese skills and picking up some marketable skills for use in different environments. One thing I have learned about working in a corporate environment is that you'll get nowhere if you're a bad communicator.

No comments: