Monday, February 14, 2011

Keep a spare keyboard

The keyboard managed to die out on me while doing some administrative stuff on the computer. I've been working on a wireless keyboard and mouse since the summer and have been really enjoying it. Sure the battery dies once every 3 months but it wasn't much of a big deal, until the keyboard died on me that is.

After wondering if the keyboard was in a bad position, the receiver was in a strange location and wondering if the battery was dead, I have pronounced the keyboard dead. Generally, indicator LEDs aren't standard with wireless keyboards because they shorten battery life, making debugging rather tricky. I eventually had to dig out an cabled keyboard to connect to the desktop... only to find that the keys were rather sticky. Then it struck me... I spilled some really sticky liquor on the keyboard since the last time I used it and quickly took it to the shower where I doused it in hot water.

Suffice to say, I won't be able to use my desktop computer today and am currently using the internet through my netbook. I've put an order for a new wireless keyboard online and the total cost for a new one is about $25 bucks, including free shipping. Not bad, it's something that I can live with.

No comments: