Saturday, October 23, 2010

Performance review

I just had my performance review yesterday. In 6 months, I did a decent amount of work and at the same time, I also reduced the number of over time hours I've been putting in at work. I was pulling about 55 hours of overtime/month last year and this year, I've brought it down to about 30 hours/month. Having an extra 24 hours/month to yourself does make a difference in quality of life. Don't underestimate the value of time. I'm going off on a tangent however...

After my performance review, I asked my boss what does it take to get a promotion. How things work in a corporation is that you get raises based on the number of years you've been around, on top of that, after a certain number of years you can be recommended for a grade promotion. His response was that I need to take more of a leadership role and that I could be considered to get a promotion after my 4th year. Hearing something like that was shocking and disappointing. Why does it have to take at least 4 years to get considered for a promotion? I believe that promotions should be performance based, depending on the capacity of the person to handle responsibility and their ability to do good work. To be stuck in a position for 4 years and then take say another 5~6 years for another promotion is pretty much career advancement at a snail's pace.

I don't want to be half-way dead by the time I get into middle-upper management.

There has to be a better way at being successful instead of lining up in the seniority queue for a promotion. That way of thinking has to die and if you want to have a successful company, "promotions" shouldn't be limited to the number of upper level vacancies that need to be filled with someone. Instead, I argue that everyone should have a salary that scales with the level of their performance. I would rather have an environment where everyone can be rewarded for excellent performance instead of people waiting for someone to leave to get upgraded.

Real talent can't be kept waiting, because they will find other places to move upwards into and the company will be at a net loss in talent.

When it comes to making a successful company, having the right people is everything. More important than the amount of money that's bankrolled into the company. Smart, resourceful people will usually find a way to succeed. When your most talented members are gone, companies that were once great will be doomed.

No comments: