Saturday, October 23, 2010

forget the limiting, focus on the enabling

I've posted plenty about my gripes on working in a corporation and doing research in an institution. I've decided that it's time to stop worrying about all the annoying things that bug me about these establishments and free myself of the "me versus them mindset" and become more fluid in dealing with roadblocks.

Perhaps I was naive when I was younger, when I saw a system or an organization that I thought was ineffective, that it would be easy to encourage change. After trying with little real results, I have come to the realization that change is hard and not worth the time. It's more effective to create a pocket in an organization where you can work effectively and if things are not optimal, then it's time to go. When finally getting into the real world, the scale that you deal with things changes, dramatically.

Before, life would revolve around the academic environment, going to elementary school or high school with 1,200 students and only interacting with mostly people in the same grade (say several hundred people) means that you have a really small point of reference. Going to a university of 40,000 people is a little different. When you finally get out of university and into the real world of millions of people the scale of what you deal with changes. When you're dealing with just a few hundred people and you're stuck with them for many years, that was the environment that you're stuck in and it's rather hard to change. You had to live with the things that you liked and didn't like. After getting out of school, the world is a big place and you don't have to put the effort into changing an environment to make it more palatable. If it's something that you don't like then you can easily move on.

And that's the thing when it comes to attracting smart people, keeping them and creating the right environment to getting good work done. I don't have time to fight the system, to convince people that doing things a different way is better and then doing it. Life is too short for that and I just want to find the right people and environment to be successful, because at the end of it, it takes way less effort to fight within a system and do something than to disengage and do it yourself. The strategy is to find the right way to be successful on your own. If the only taught that at school...

No comments: