Friday, October 15, 2010

Company culture is important

I went to a company seminar for junior employees of the company I work for today. I was throttled with disappointment and have reservations about the future direction of the corporation that I work at. The environment and the kind of people you hire are essential to create the right kind of culture/atmosphere that makes a successful company. We face a creativity and innovation crisis and I am starting to see that part of the problem is a result of the culture of the company -- there aren't a lot of people with the right kind of creative flare, follow through and leadership to pull off innovative and visionary projects. Hell, I don't even think that there is a real vision at work.

You know when you are in trouble when the executives are telling employees that "we have to be more creative," thinking that just telling people to be a certain way will enact change. When you have executives that can't lead, set good examples or communicate inspirationally throughout the company then there are very fundamental problems. The problem is even worse when there are superiors that don't listen or are stubborn and you have weak subordinates that know when it's time to push against the grain to get things done. We lost 6 months on one project because people weren't able to speak up. But back to the seminar I went to today.

The seminar I attended is a career planning seminar for junior employees (though I would not like to consider myself one). The idea that over the next few years, we are supposed to be preparing a general vision of ourselves, the kind of person that we are to evolve to be and present that vision to our project managers and eventually to the division executives when we get to our 4th year at the company. Feels like being back in high school by the sound of it.

I feel that many managers are in search of an answer for the next big thing. What many of them can do to a certain degree is identify them when they squeeze ideas out of their employees. I also find that so few of them have true visionary ideas of their own. The only difference between them and their employees is that they're subjected to more ideas and can pretend that they know more-- there is know easier way to stick out your chest and look like you are an "alpha" by appearing to know more than your colleagues. It is by nature of their profession that managers act this way. Dilbert comics make a good point about this with the pointy haired boss, know much about buzz words but little behind their meanings. To be a good manager, I believe that there is more to just knowing, but the ability to get things done on your own. If you want to inspire and attract the right kind of people, you have to start off as being the right kind of person.

Changing corporate culture, or culture in general is a tough process. I've tried it to little avail once before when I was a student at a Japanese lab while doing my masters. I've seen and experienced different things as a westerner and people are afraid of trying new things as old habits are hard to break. I talked about how we how it would be a good idea to start having better ways of exchanging ideas between members of the lab, (the lab I was a part of was really big, with 50 researchers) and better initial training to bring new members up to speed instead of fending for themselves. I eventually ran into a brick wall, with insufficient support and with looming deadlines coming up, I gritted my teeth and decided that I wanted to be the best possible person that I could be instead of changing my environment and did my own things.

Sometimes there isn't time to fight the fight and other times, it just isn't worth it. One of the things I learned over the years is to not waste time fighting over small things. If the effort it too much for some small return, then it isn't worth it to waste time over it-- simply moving on and finding better people to deal with is far more rewarding. I think that a lot of smart people are aware of this and when it become too much of a pain to do interesting work, you will start to lose your smartest people. Google, Microsoft and other technology companies know how valuable smart people are that they even had an agreement to not poach each other's company. If you want to be successful, part of it is knowing how to attract and keep the right kind of people to work with. When it comes to success, people and culture is crucial.

No comments: