Thursday, September 23, 2010

Off to Nikko

Today is a Thursday and a national holiday in Japan. I have decided to head off into the countryside to get away from the city and home- a change if scenery and getting away from the computer is something that I've been looking forward to; no more computer games and time wasters for me. In terms computing devices, I've only got this iPhone and a netbook to keep me company for this trip. I'll be gone for 3 nights and 4 days.

As usual, I've booked myself into some hostels while traveling. The hostels in japan are comparatively cheap, usually have interesting guests and the people that run them are very knowledgable of the area. Once you get used to staying in these establishments, it gets hard to go back to staying at ordinary hotels-- hotels are so socially sterile and expensive. I would only stay at one when I'm feeling that I need some time alone.

The region Of Nikko is located north of Tokyo, about an hour and a half by train. The region is well known for its hot springs, national parks and nature. There are also a variety of historical sites in the area worth checking out. I've only taken a cursory look at the information available online and expect to get more details after arriving in the area.

I've also broken-down and bought some new software for the iPhone that will allow me to post while on the go. I probably will have the netbook to post from as well but posting directly from the iPhone with pictures is now an option. The G3 network might not be able to handle large numbers of high resolution photos bit I'll see how this turns out. BlogBooster-The most productive way for mobile blogging. BlogBooster is a multi-service blog editor for iPhone, Android, WebOs and your desktop

No comments: