Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dealing with the paper filing problem

It's odd to think that there is still so much paper work is still flying around. Manuals, contracts, proofs of purchase, bank account statements, bill and what not. I just spent the afternoon cleaning the room to come to the realization that I have a lot of documents filed away that are just taking sitting around and taking up space. I've been slowly trying to de-clutter the room and I've decided that excess paper documents are the next on the chopping block to go.

I've installed Google desktop onto my computer recently and have found that searching for things within the computer has gotten a little easier as all I would need to enter are a few key works and the document I am looking for comes up. Apparently, there it a "keyword" field for most files that you can put metadata into a file for tracking. So what I've decided to do is buy a scanner and scan as many paper documents as possible and keep them in the computer instead. Meaning I have less things to worry about keeping track of.

No comments: