Monday, June 14, 2010

2 months into the diet

Been about 2 months into the exercise thing I've been doing and I am finally starting to see some results. For the first month, I've been focused on losing excess fat by changing up the diet, basically cutting out all junk foods and focused my food consumption to lean meats, lots of vegetables and complex carbohydrates. I've basically switched over from white rice to brown rice. Right now, I kind of like brown rice because of the texture and it has some more flavor over plain white rice.

Starting from the beginning of May, I bought an exercise machine which I use every other day for upper body strength training. It's been nearly 1 month of training using that machine and I am now starting to see some muscle development in my shoulders and chest. Growth in the forearms are a little slow texture of my arms have started to become firmer compared to before. I've also lost weight around the waist, which means my pants have started to feel considerably looser and I now require a belt as my pants will start to slide slowly down through the entire day during any walking activity.

The graph below kind of explains my current situation:



I lost about 2 kg (about 4.5 pounds) over the first month, where most of the weight loss occurred during the first 2 weeks of the diet. I was rather surprised at how quickly my body responded to the change in what I've been eating. After the first month, I started weigh training and there has been some fluctuations in body mass and somewhat of a continued downward trend in body mass until day 50, where after there has been an up tick in weight past day 60 and another sharp decline in mass as I close in on day 70. What might be going on is an increase in muscle mass that might be driving the body mass upwards.

On an interesting note, my physical change is having an interesting affect on how I navigate through crowded corridors in downtown Tokyo, especially in the train station. I used to spend time avoiding people around people while walking and now after exercising and getting a little bigger, people have started getting out of my way. I find this rather fascinating.

No comments: