Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Alive but productivity = 0

Been a while since my last post. Lots of small things popping up and I've been rather lazy, not just rather, but exceptionally lazy or the past 2 weeks. I am having a hell of a time getting up in the morning, it takes me about 2~3 tries for me to get out, in the sense that I wake up once then fall back asleep and then wake up again. After a few more times I'm out of bed.

I have the easiest time getting out of bed when I have something that I want to do that morning. This is especially the case when I am traveling to different countries. I was in Taiwan last year (perhaps 2 years ago) and I had to wake up everyday at about 7:00 am because I would be going out by car with friends to go exploring around the area. I had a very easy time getting out for bed for things like that.

For days that I don't have anything planned, I generally don't have the motivation to make a swift departure from bed. I would rather spend less time sleeping and more time awake if I can help it. Moral of the story for me is to have something I want to do planned for the mornings. Might be kind of handy to get the ball rolling for my research which is somewhat stagnating at the moment.

In other news, life outside my lab had been rather active. I was in the mountains snowboarding 2 weeks ago and went to a friend's birthday the day after that. Apparently my introduction to 30 some odd people was "This is Justin and he's single." Riight. Apparently my friend, who is an English teacher in her 30's was rather impressed when I hosted my Christmas party and was surprised that I didn't have a girlfriend. She took it upon it self to try and hook me up (without me knowing) at her party...

Right after arriving, Anitia pointed me off to a corner to grab a seat. I would be surrounded by 5 office ladies in their 30's. Not my crowd, since they look like the "sit around and let's talk" type of people. We exchanged introductions and light conversation and then I was off to explore the rest of the crowd. I met up with a bunch of foreign English teachers who weren't particularly social and then finally I came across an interesting character, an English teacher that is Japanese and spent 7 years in Australia before returning to Japan. Ended up spending about half the evening talking to her and her friend before making my return home.

The week after that I would meet up another friend of mine that I haven't seen since December for dinner at a Korean restaurant and drinks at a fairly posh wine bar. The next day, I headed off to an international cooking class to learn some Chinese cooking from the international students running the event. Out of the 13~14 people there, I would be the only guy there. Apparently, most men in Japan cannot cook to save their lives. Everyone at the cooking lesson was rather surprised to find out that I am proficient with a knife. I've also garnered interest from a few people at the cooking class that are definitely keen on dong a dessert party kind of thing. I will try and set it up later on. This week I'll be going back to learn Cambodian cooking.

So that's a short update for the time being... gotta get back to work. I have a big lab presentation this weekend and need to get my slides and hand out prepped up for that.

No comments: