Friday, May 07, 2010

Surviving is hedging against the stupidity of other people

What you would you do if you had to pick up the tab for someone else's mistake? I would naturally would not be happy about it. In the last few years, we have already seen this happen with both Iceland and now probably Greece. Germany is obviously unhappy with the prospect of having to spend the most money on Greece to bail them out, nor are the Greeks happy that they are going to be on the line for tax increases and pay cuts to pay off a debt that their government managed to hide for so long.

I generally don't really care/mind what other people do so long as it does not negatively affect the well being of other people. I generally try to live by that rule, but what annoys me is when other people start screwing things up for other people and leaving them on the hook for it. As much as I would like people/organizations/politicians to take responsibility for their own mistakes, they usually don't or they can't, especially in the case of a major catastrophe.

I once remarked that for a democracy to work well, you need an educated population. Unfortunately, there are too many uneducated people voting for and getting things that might not be good for them. Changing the ways that people think about anything (finance, politics, etc.) is a hard problem and sometimes it just isn't worth the time and effort to change them. It would be more productive for me to hedge and isolate myself from them whenever I think I am right and they are wrong, in other words "put my money where my mouth is" instead of arguing about "where we should put our money."

No comments: