Wednesday, May 05, 2010

The diet continues

Golden week started as of last week in Japan. It's basically like 3 days of holidays in a row and if you throw in some paid holidays, it can be nicely extended. I managed to do that and turned my golden week holiday into a 12 day string of off time. And it's been great not going to work.

I spent most of golden week meeting up with friends in Tokyo and then heading out to Sendai to hit some hot springs and meet up with friend over there. The last 4 days for me pretty much centered around eating, drinking and sitting hot water. It was pretty good. After getting back to Tokyo I finally managed to weigh myself for the first time in 4 days to find my self rather relieved that I haven't gained any weight.

Interestingly, I have found that my body weight does swing in about a 1.0 kg range depeneding on if I weigh myself right after some vigorous exercise or after taking in a big meal with plenty of fluids. I spent about 1.5 hours riding out and back from where I live to a beach, with a round trip total distance of 30 km. After the ride I weighed 66.7 kg and then after taking in some dinner and fluids throughout the day, I currently weigh 67.6 kg. I need to take a look at my body weight trend for a little longer to decide on what I need to do next to bring myself further into shape. Attached below is the most recent body weight trend data.

I have also decided to do some calculations about my caloric intake since I have just been eyeballing things recently using the calculator provided at nutrition data. As of recent, I've been eating mostly a combination of a home brew of chili, a soup based on sole fish, assorted vegetables (broccoli, spinach, cabbage, corn, carrots, peas and seaweed) and rice. I've approximated my portion sizes and according to the calculator, I am consuming bout 1052 Calories, of which 149 Calories come from fat as shown in the summary below.

I believe that the real value for my caloric intake is probably a little higher since I do tend to eat 1 extra meal in the day as I usually feel hunger pangs since going on this diet. My caloric intake is significantly lower compared to my 1600 Calorie goal, though I believe that my real caloric intake is higher, it should be in the 1300~1500 Calorie range as I am sneaking in some fruits and servings of vegetables to deal with the hunger pangs.

If my caloric intake remains too low, I might switch over from consuming white rice to brown(ish) rice, which is a kind of rice without the outer husk polished off. It is often said to be more healthy but I am not entirely sure why most rice producers like to polish off the brown outer layers from the rice.

No comments: