Thursday, December 06, 2007

Back Online

So it's been a while since the last time I posted to this blog. The bad reason for this is that internet access is sometime hard to come by and if I do want to some writing, my writing often occurs when I have nothing better to do (usually at night, after I am pooped from traveling around). This problem has now been rectified as I have invested myself into a ultra-portable laptop. Running in the $350 range with only 4 GB of hard drive space.

I am now operating off the Eee PC computer developed by ASUS. We are now on the way to ubiquitous portable computing as I have mentioned before. I am now working off the wifi network at the guest house I am staying at writing this post from the comfort of the dining table.

A shot of the Eee PC is depicted here for reference and a quick outline of the specs are as follows:

4 GB flash memory
7" size
1 kg in weight
512 MB ram
Xandros Linux
3 USB ports
approx 4 hours battery life
External monitor connector
Memory card reader
Wireless internet
Web camera


This ultra-portable computer is perfect for a traveling person like me with minimalized size and a rich set of features. I am now able to easily fit this computer into a hand bag and pull it out whenever I have a free moment. Though one of the limitations of this computer is the small HD size, (approx only 1 GB of free space to use), I am currently hooking the 60 GB external HD to this computer for all my storage needs (ie my pictures and loading new sets of music into my iPod mini).

As a result of my experiences with this computer, I am very confident that ultra-portable computing will be the next big thing to hit. The next big thing to happen in the coming years is the development of an extensive wifi wireless network to supplement internet connectivity to these mobile devices. What me will see in the future is the development of a roaming wifi network, allowing computers to connect between different routers seamlessly. I believe that these networks will eventually either supplement or replace cellphone networks in the future.

Commercialization of these wifi networks will likely happen and if the cellular carriers are on the ball, they will eventually transition to equip themselves to develop a high speed cellular internet system to keep up with ultra mobile networking devices. Interestingly, if a large wireless internet platform were to be developed, I believe that such a network will be very cheap as wireless routers only cost in the $100 range. What we may find is a wifi network consisting of open routers allowing for either free or very cheap internet access.

Deployment of wireless networks is significantly cheaper and easier than deploying ground lines and these networks will piggy back off these ground lines. The wireless ultra-portable revolution will likely have been started by Apple's iPhone but it is the computer makers of ASUS, Intel and the OLPC initiative that will drive the creation of these networks.

Watch out for companies developing full coverage of wireless internet networks and applications them. This will be the next multi-billion dollar market.

Oh.. and I forgot to mention that postings will be more frequent from here on in :)

5 comments:

Lord Metroid said...

So you are back in Japan... How was your experience with customs treating you as a criminal?

As you mentioned the Eee laptop I took a search around the internet and noticed how tight the keyboard keys are together. I don't know if I could stand coding or writing long essays on such keyboard. The laptop I have a Dell from approximatley 6 years ago is heavy and thick but the keyboard layout is the number one layout I have ever coded on. Love it, sadly the wear and tear is starting to become noticeable.

Paladiamors said...

Not in Japan yet, still traveling right now. I am in Malaysia at the moment and waiting for a flight back to peninsular Malaysia.

It was hard getting used to the keyboard at first, but I am now pretty used to the layout now that I don't have much problems typing on this computer. It's not too bad actually now that I have gotten used to it.

*~MaNgKoOd~* said...

Hey Justin,

Glad to see u back online and doing fine.. I was wondering if you might be kidnapped in Cambodia hehehe...

I'm waiting to see all the pictures from your trip na.. :)

See you around,
Hnon

Unknown said...

Glad to see you online again. :)

A buddy of mine picked up an Eee - if I wasn't buying expensive photography equipment, I'd probably want one too.

Glad to see you're having fun! I'm really jealous. :)

Paladiamors said...

Hnon>>

Hey! Glad that you're still keeping up with the blog. I just got in contact with wade and I'll be able to crash his place in Australia when I get down there. Looking forward to it. How are things going on your end?

Drew>>

Glad that you're still reading from time to time. The Eee Pc is a lot of fun to have around, especially for traveling. I am having a great time with it being able to use it anywhere on the go.

Traveling my brains out here. Just landed in australia and having a ball out here.