Friday, December 21, 2007

Australia – Airlie Beach

Airlie beach is a backpaker's haven, where nearly all backpackers traveling along the East coast of Australia to make a stop, as this place is the jumping point via boat to the Whitsundays Island, known for the whitest and finiest sands in the world. Word has it that the sand is so fine on the Whitsundays, the sand was used to polish the lenses on the hubble telescope before sending it off to space. Naturally, upon heading such a story, I had to make my way up there to see the sands for myself.

Taking the plane from Brisbane to the Porsipine airport, I covered 600 km in an hour to arrive at Airlie Beach. I checked into the Youth Hostel by about 5 pm and grabbed some groceries to whip up some food. The nice thing about the youth hostels in Australia is that many of them are equipped with kitchens, making cooking your own meals a viable option. As I noted before, a decent meal will run into the $10 range, now with a kitchen available, the cost of eating drops down to $3 a meal or up to $8 if you're on a splurge (excellent for whipping up a nice dinner after a long day of trekking).

I had the fourtunte of meeting a fun variety of people at the hostel I was at. There were a bunch of people from Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan I met up with and had dinner with them. The included picture is a group shot of us enjoying a beer outside trading stories of our adventures.

The interesting thing I learned from them is that finding work while traveling in Australia is very easy. Actually, the jobs they have out here are very interesting and I'd consider them fun! Work for travelers as a deck hand or diving assistant (with training up to dive master) on a sailing ship / tour boat is readily available. Fruit picking, hostel work and restaurant work is also available but I would consider the jobs on the boats to be the most fun. The pay isn't that bad either with wages starting at $16.30/hour, way better than the minimum wage in Canada or Japan. Working while traveling in Australia is very feasible to earn cash while traveling and a chance to meet other interesting travelers.

Of another interesting note, if one were to look up the bulletin boards in Airlie beach, there are plenty of messeges to be found for people running boats looking for some crew to help out while they travel up and down the Australian coast. All you need to do it help out with running the ship and you'd have a free ride on a boat (with some chances to stop by some interesting islands, go snorkeling or diving). The options for traveling through Australia is nearly endless. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't able to take advantage of these offers since most people are heading South to Brisbane or Sydney for Christmas or the New Years.


Over the weekend, I took a 1 day tour to the Whitsunday islands, which included some snorkeling, hiking to a view point and a visit to the beach with the incredibly white and fine sand. The Whitsunday island is very beautiful, with surrounding ocean having a clear blue hue, surrounded by shining white sand. When I made it out to the Beach to play with the sand, I found it very fine, like playing with powder. The sand dissapears after just taking a handful and throwing it into the air. As a cautionary note, people have had problems with the sand getting into their cameras, gumming up the gears that move the lens around. I kept my camera on the boat for most of the time and brought it out for a little bit to take a few pictures; and even then, I still got a little sand in the camera. Fortunately after some use, the sand seems to have fallen out.


For those that are making a trip out to Australia, I recommend making Airlie Beach one of your stops!











Oh, and I ran into Santa in Australia. :)

2 comments:

*~MaNgKoOd~* said...

seems to be a nice place... :D

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Ho

Ida