Sunday, December 16, 2007

Singapore

Since starting off my journey in developing countries such as Thailand and Vietnam, landing into the metropolis that is Singapore was an incredible shock to me. Getting out of the airport and onto their rapid transit system, the first thing that struck me was how developed and clean the city was. The buildings, roads and and was exceptionally well kept. I would even say that Singapore is cleaner than Japan.

The skyline in Singapore is scattered with all sorts of incredibly nice skyscrapers and had the look of a cutting edge city. The first question I had to ask myself was, “how was a metropolitan city built in the middle of south east Asia on such a tiny island?”

Shipping and Finance in Singapore

Though an engineer in training, I have a strong interest in economics. The key factor for the development of any city, is that there must be an economic value a city produces that allows it to thrive for the population to grow and the development of infrastructure. What Singapore thrives on is the shipping and banking industry.

What is fascinating about Singapore compared to it's neighbor Malaysia is that Singapore has a port which does not charge tariffs on goods passing through the area. The location of Singapore position at the tip of Malaysia allows for easy access of ships to deliver their goods to Oceania and Asia. From what I have been able to learn from the people I've met there is that Singapore is also able to easily acquire a wide variety of goods from the ships that passes through her ports.

Though I am not entirely sure how the financial industry developed in Singapore, I am very curious as to how it developed.

Multi Culturalism and Breaking the Language Barrier

It is interesting to hear that Singapore isn't all that interesting from many other travelers. What these travelers may mean by this is that Singapore just seems to be another modern city to them. Fortunately to me, there is a whole slew of interesting beneath the surface of Singapore that fascinates me.

As a person that has lived in Japan for the last 2.5 years, one of the largest challenges that Japan faces is the English language barrier. No matter the number of years students in Japan have learned English Japan, their proficiency is generally rudimentary at best. The general Singaporian can probably speak 3-4 languages. Those of the Chinese descendants will speak Cantonese, Mandarin, English and Malay. The Indian descendants will speak several Indian dialects in addition to English. The the diversity in languages spoken in Singapore makes it perfect as a base for international trade. Many multinational companies operating on the Pacific Rim prefer hiring people from Singapore instead of Hong Kong because of their language proficiency, and they don't speak with a thick Chinese accent.

It is oft quoted by the Japanese that it is hard for the Japanese to learn English because it is an isolated island country, though Japan is also heavily involved in international trade in a similar way to Singapore. What I believe that needs to be pointed out to the Japanese is should they want to become proficient in English as a nation, it is crucial to create an environment where English can be used in a common and daily situation.

During my travels to Denmark in September, I learned from the students that it was only recently that some classes were being taught in English at school and University. As a result of this, there is an interesting language gap between the current and older generation, with the younger generation being very proficient in English and the older generation (ie. grandparent generation) with limited English skills.

My Experience

I had a particularly great time in Singapore. The Singapore doller is about 0.7 to 1 Canadian dollar, making things in Singapore 30% cheaper than buying things in Canada or Japan. The interesting things is that Singapore is touted as one of the most expensive countries to travel to in SE Asia. Though this is true, when we are talking about meals going for $1 or less in Vietnam or Thailand, traveling through Singapore is still entirely affordable.

I was able to afford a guest house for about $17/night for a dorm room in the city. Meals were in the ball park of $3-4 and still very reasonable. Transportation using the rapid transit or taxi was also very cheap. I was able to have a great time sampling the food in Little India, shopping in China town and going through the more expensive shopping district on Orchard Street. In the evenings, the nice restaurants and watering holes along Clarke Quay were usually fairly busy.

I wasn't able to experience the wild night life however, since I was traveling light and had no dressy clothes to get into the fancier party places. But from what I saw from the outside was that the Singaporeans definitely knew how to party it up.

I had a great time hitting the national library, which held plenty of interesting events, that included a a drama performance by young children, an evening aerobics session held outside, an art show and more. I even found some massage chairs that operated for free in some of the lesser traveled areas in the library that I used for a good 30 minutes to relax. Who would have known that I'd have so much fun checking out a library.

Of another interesting note, I stumbled upon an Indian rock group singing in Punjabi. I had a hilarious time listening to them call out to the crowd in a thick Indian accent. I never would have thought that I'd be listening to a Indian rock performance in Singapore.

I ended up staying about 4 days in Singapore before moving on to Malaysia. In the future though, I would consider moving to Singapore for a while for fun. It seems like a pretty nice place to live. Though the only thing that might irk me about the place is how some of the people I've met there are somewhat money driven, but I guess it is to be expected for the financial capital of SE Asia.

2 comments:

Lord Metroid said...

Granparent generation in Europe was taught German as a second language because of the greater importance Germany had at the beginning of the 20th century.

My grandma don't know any English and my parents knows it so so because the quality of english lessons extended to listening to teach yourself tapes.

English has definetly become easier to learn in Sweden. I think a big contributor to english quality in scandinavia is that all purchased foreign TV-series/films are broadcasted with the original language subtitled instead of dubbed in swedish, really helps the learning.

*~MaNgKoOd~* said...

Great one Justin. It's nice reading your blog coz you always think something differently than others.. well than many others. That's why I like talking to you.

Keep it up.

Hnon