Sunday, October 28, 2007

Mastercard Secure Code!?

For the last 3 hours, I have been trying to book an airline ticket out of Thailand to Vietnam. The problem is that the company I am booking though (Air asia) requires a secure code for my card before accepting payment.

Well the problem is that I had never heard of it before and the website they kept on redirecting me to is something called www.securesite.com which is mighty suspicious by my standards. After aborting the transaction several times, it appears that my credit card is now locked and in accessible. Fortunately I carry a second credit card which is not on me at the moment and I am going to have to go back to the hotel to fish it out and do the transaction again.

I have called mastercard and it seems that the site is legit. When it comes to putting financial details online, I tend to be very cautious. It seems in this case, it has bitten me in the rear. Today is a Sunday so I am going to have to wait till the offices open up to make an international call via skype to sort things out. Grrr

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey maybe it is the 3 digit thingy printed behind the card..

look behind your credit card.. there is 3 extra digit after the card number

Sacha said...

I know when you use aircanada.ca, they also have some similar mechanism. I'm guessing a lot of people use fraudulent credit cards to book flights.

Anonymous said...

Everything's cool now I guess... :)
Hnon

hirosan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hirosan said...

Thank Safari 3.0 for posting a comment without me entering my account info... :(

It is a good practice to be suspicious if the browser is redirected to somewhere... even if it says https:// because it can be altered, too!
You are smart, indeed

oh by the way, securesite.com is a web hosting company. Nothing to do with card but the payment system is located in that website... Hmmm...

Liew Hui Mei said...

i think the code means "the 3 digit thing printed behind the card".

May be next time i can help you to buy AirAsia ticket if you face any inconvenience.

You are like a decent younger brother to me.

Paladiamors said...

thanks for the comment mei! actually the problem with the card wasn't the 3 digit number on the back but a new password system for mastercard that connects to the browser to verify that I am the owner of the card.

What I have todo is enter a password that is not included with the credit card to verify myself.

Anonymous said...

Good words.