Sunday, October 28, 2007

Planning my Next Leg

Still in Thailand at the moment. I am here much longer than expected, nearly 2 weeks into my trip and currently planning my next leg of my trip.

Right now, I am hanging out at the resort island of Koh Phangan, famous for the Full Moon Party that happens every week. I saw about 5000 people on the beach dancing to a variety of tunes. I've also tried my hand at fire poi, something that I've been working on in Japan. Suffice to say, I got through 2 sets of fire poi without getting burned. Will be looking to buy a fire poi set for myself before leaving Thailand (very cheap, at about $10 for a set!)

I am planning my next leg of the trip and it is probably going to be Vietnam. My original plans were to take a bus to Cambodia and spend some time there, realizing that I am going to be spending about 2 weeks in Thailand, I will be spending something of that magnitude in Cambodia and probably Vietnam where I had initially budgeted about 24-28 days in total for Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

My main goal for Cambodia is to visit the Angkor Wat temples. The problem is that there aren't many cheap flights that I can find from Thailand to Saem Riep. I can find cheap flights from Bangkok to Hanoi for about $90 and will take that because I have a 1 month visa starting on Oct 28th for one month and decided that it would be prudent that I get to Vietnam first. I can make it into Cambodia later on with some cheap flights from Singapore or Malaysia, about $90 one way.

It seems a little pricey to just head in to Cambodia for just the temples in Saem Riep, costing me at least $200 there and back. I have heard from the parents that Cambodia is a little dangerous in the capital of Phenom Penh. I have run into some other travelers that have been there that have told me that it is rather run down and fairly dingy, but there is something to be said about being able to walk and observe all plains of human existence. If I have some time to spare, I will make a trip out there.

Pictures to follow later on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coz you love us :-D

Anonymous said...

OOps... again. it's me Hnon