Thursday, June 02, 2005

Radio!?

I make too many assumptions...

On Wedensday I decided to go out and buy myself a radio to listen to Japanese music. Population of Vancouver 500,000 people. Population in GVRD approx 2 million. Sendai city populcation 1 million. Vancouver has atleast 6 major FM radio stations that I can think of the top of my head (well I had 6 FM stations programmed into the radio back when I was in Canada). With general numbers in my head, I dediced to head out and buy myself a stereo set for about $100. A pretty allright price for a stereo, but I was also leaning towards getting myself a nice set of computer speakers. For only about $70 CAD you can get a pair of some really nice speakers + subwoofer. I decided to comprimise and go with the stereo set since I could plug it into my laptop and play music off that as well.

So after buying the radio set, I play with the system to realize that Sendai only has 3 radio stations. One of which I can barely get any signal to. The other 2 stations offer some music, but they talk like crazy and are loaded with commercials. I guess the number of radio stations isn't a function of population. Wonder what these people do instead of listening to the radio. Watch TV? I get the feeling that they're a little limited when it comes to TV programming.

Wow, you people back at home are totally spoiled when it comes to radio service. Well, it's not all bad... I get to listen to Japanese voices all day. It might just be good for me :)

2 comments:

doris said...

stream in radio from the rest of Japan on your computer perhaps?

Paladiamors said...

Thanks for the heads up, forgot about that. Well there's the best of both worlds :)