Friday, April 08, 2005

Leaving Narita and Arriving in Sendai

I spent a chunk of my time hanging out with the other students in one of their rooms. I was with the Brazilian/South American entourage. I could only laugh when one of them said that she needed her Naruto anime fix (heh that bought back memories of when I was totally glued to anime... not as much anymore for some reason). It got late (by Vancouver's standard) so I fell asleep by about 10:00 pm (Japan time). I was up, however, at 1:00 am.

Jet lag sucks (well sort of, not really) but it sucks when you have an appointment at 9:00 am and you wake up at 1:00 am. I didn't think about it like that at the time but I knew that I wasn't in the mood for sleeping. So I went for a midnight stroll around the block for a good hour or so and then made my way back into the room. There isn't much around the Narita airport within walking distance. Most of the building it seemed, were airplane service related... not a single store in sight (like it mattered in the morning). I was stuck in what was like the industrial heart of a city.

When I returned to my room, I managed to take a nap and woke up somewhere at about 7:30 am. 9:00 am came eventually. it was a long wait because there wasn't much to do in the hotel room and it was off with the exchange students to Ueno (I think) where we would head off on our separate ways. We exchanged e-mails and went off on our separate ways. 2 hours later, I would finally arrive in Sendai with students from Bolivia, Nicaragua, Columbia and a few other places and finally arrived at the Sendai station where we were greeted by a house wives volunteer group that helps out international students. We were shuttled back to the international dorms. We had a quick orientation of the place, got some paperwork done and off loaded our luggage into our rooms (more on that later) and we were done for the day. I met up with a few other international students living at the dorm, one of them "Andres" from Puerto Rico (I think) directed us to a little a take shop nearby where we could grab some dinner at a reasonable price (490 yen... about 6 buck in Canadian). After that I retired to my room exhausted... tomorrow we would get registered as "alien residents”, get health insurance and a bank account. By 10 pm, I was asleep unfortunately I'd be awake by 4 am.

No comments: