Friday, April 29, 2005

Hanami in Japan

Hanami in Japan is a big event in Japan. It is when the cherry blossoms start blooming. There are entire parks in Japan with nothing but Cherry blossoms in white and pink. The cherry blossoms came out around the 3rd week of April for us in Sendai so all the clubs setup a ton of lunch parties under the cherry blossoms. In total, I went to 3 and I've got pictures from 2 posted here... didn't have many pictures from the first.

The second cherry blossom party I went to was with the lab I would be working at-- the Nanotech lab. From what I heard, the people from the lab sent out a bunch of 4th year students to camp out at the park where we would be doing the cherry blossom picnic to claim our spot since really good spots are hard to find, especially when the the trees are in full bloom.

The group is pretty darn large but the people are really friendly. I had a great time with these guys talking and taking back a few beers with them. A few of the reserachers I met with had the chance to do some research in Canada and the States and their english was pretty good. I did learn from them that some of the airlines in Japan offer a "birthday ticket" which is a really cheap ticket for you to travel anywhere in Japan or nearby for really, really cheap.

There is a lot more I could type out... but I am working off an unsecured wireless internet connection in the middle of the street in the middle of the night. I've been here for about 2 hours and my butt is getting pretty darn sore from sitting out here. I spent the first hour setting up the pictures for you guys to see instead :P

I'll do some more real talking later :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

justrose said...

... the real story is that internet connection, in the middle of the street in the middle of the night!

The blossoms are gorgeous, seriously.