Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Kick ass and then become a consultant?

Into the second week of October and already cranked  out more than 20+ hours of over time. If this was Canadian style flex time, I'd have 3 vacation days stocked up. But this is Japan, so I'll be taking overtime pay instead.

Been working on putting together some software for a project for wafer level analysis. I use a newer language compared to the older guy I work with, Visual Basic vs Python. Programming lightening fast while I have most of the base engine of my detection engine up.

The problem here is that by the end of this year, my stint in Kagoshima will probably be over and my work will need to be passed off to the guys here to continue. The problem is that no one can program in the language that I use. They'll have one of the guys eventually translate the algorithms into their native language.

Interestingly, I really do wonder how often do cases such as these occur, where one guy is able to do a good job that the other guys that follow after can't keep up. I best that this is how a lot of people start their contracting gigs.

No comments: