Monday, October 03, 2011

From Kagoshima to Tokyo and back again

Finally got back to the home after 2 months in Kagoshima. Getting off the plane and getting into the city, I realized that I was facing some culture shock from being back. All the people and tall buildings... the other thing I missed while being back is good country food.

I eventually made it back to my apartment and found that I had left a light bulb on for the entire 2 months. An interesting experience but when I did power calculation, having that light bulb on for 24/7 over a month it cost about $24. It's pretty amazing how much power a light bulb draws over the course of a month, more than the fridge I have.

But to be honest, most people don't have their lights running at home for 24/7. Interesting lesson.

The mail box at home was stuffed to the brim with fliers for all sorts of things, especially girly stuff like manicures, hair salons and frilly clothing- nothing that a man would need. Sexist marketing at it's finest? Quite possibly so.

I also dropped by the office today and saw one of my old managers and his greeting to me was:

Manager: "Welcome back. You look thinner. You okay? Maybe you should see a doctor"

Apparently I have a rather interesting work place.

I got back and picked up a $800 LCD monitor and had it shipped off to Kagoshima for me to use for programming. I even had it shipped by air. One of those perks about working in a large corporation.


No comments: