Monday, June 25, 2007

Thesis home stretch

As of this moment, I have over 10,000 words written for my thesis and over 60 pages in material at 1.5 line spacing. I haven't been very liberal with spacing as of yet but the goal will be to hit 70-80 pages for the thesis once I am complete. I have inserted a lot of points that I haven't referenced yet and I still need to insert more figures and then to a check of the whole thing after finishing up. The thesis is due in 3 weeks and if everything goes well, I will have this thing done about a week in advance. I would have never imagined myself being on the ball for the thesis writing but this is most relaxed end stretch I've ever had for a large project, especially for one that I've been working on over the span of 2 years. Go figure, but I am pretty happy about it.

In other news, last weekend was a party for the lab members after finishing their job hunting efforts. We have all been placed. 3 will be going to Canon, 1 to Hirose-denki (connector manufacturing), 1 to Sony (me) and 1 to Hitachi. Everyone here has been placed into large corporations. We will see how things go from here, but we will have the opportunity to stay in contact as all of us will be based in the Tokyo area. Out of the group, I have the honor of being the first one placed after doing a one-shot application to Sony (no applications to other company), passing all 3 interviews and making it in. My fall back was the University recommendation system that would likely get me placed somewhere.

I spent the next day with a friend checking out a caldera in the mountain in a region called Zao. I'll post pictures later, but it was pretty nice and there was still snow up there, despite it being warm enough for me to walk around in shorts. I spent the afternoon in a hot spring and then headed home.

I still have much to do with my thesis and will look forward to getting it done. Then I will try and have this research published in a journal somewhere. First things first, finish the thesis and defend.

3 comments:

Lord Metroid said...

Cool job in Japan! I want to work and live in Japan... How hard would you say it is to do that?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being almost done and the Sony job!

Paladiamors said...

Metroid>>

Working and living it not too had. There are many foreigners here working in Japan, especially in Tokyo in IT departments. They are also paid very well and the international community is very supportive with information to support new comers.

Chris>>

Thanks a lot for the congratulatory words. I am almost done, finished writing my thesis and just need to have it checked by the professor tonight. How are things on your end? I haven't heard from you in ages.