Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Indonesian Cooking Class

I attended a cooking last Sunday, which took place at the Sendai International Community center, hosted by a few volunteer students from my University. The week before was Chinese food, this week is Indonesian Cooking. Excellent, because I've never eaten Indonesian food before so I was up for this new experience.

I had such a great time the last time around during the Chinese cooking class that I seriously regretted not brining my camera to take pictures of the event. This time, I was sure to not repeat that mistake!

To the left, is some of the ingredients we used to make a type of Indonesian dessert (the name eludes me at the moment as it was rather hard to pronounce and thus I had no clue how to spell).

On the plate, there are bananas, a Japanese pumpkin, sweet potatoes and some coconut milk that will be going into the mix. In the back, a bowl of brown sugar sits on a tray somewhere that is added at the end.



The completed dessert is depicted below:

Mmm... delicious Indonesian dessert

We definitely had a lot of fun cooking. Most of the people at the event were amateur chefs with no professional training, but just out to learn something new. All of us worked in groups of 2~3 people, taking turns at chopping food, washing dishes and doing the cooking.


Left: Ms. Oota flipping in some Indonesian style Tempura into hot oil
Right: Our cooking teacher for the day explaining a few points on hot peppers

I could of course, write a long post about the cooking class but I'll let the photo album do most of the explaining. Click on the group picture below to view the album.



For 750 yen (about $7.5 CAD), I am absolutely confident that I'm getting the best entertainment mileage for the money I spend. When a movie costs about $12~$15 (+more if you want food) for 1.5 hour of entertainment. I can do the same thing for half the price, learn a new skill, get something to eat and possibly make new friends. I'd be hard pressed to find a sweeter deal!

2 comments:

Sacha said...

Nice male to female ratio in those pictures.

For 8 bucks, it's a pretty good education lesson. I suppose when you come back here to visit that you'll be demonstrating your techniques?

Paladiamors said...

Definitely not bad at all! I'm going again this weeks and will post some pictures after the event.

I'll be likely be coming back! So pencil me in and expect to drop over for a potluck or host one!

Cheers!