Monday, February 05, 2007

Head-hunted?

I just got a random phone call from Toyko today. Seems that one of the Semiconductor divisions wants me to attend one of their company presentations happening in Sendai next week. Am I being head hunted? I doubt it because I'm not famous (yet!).

I've registered on a job finding forum in Japan as it is currently job hunting season in Japan to check out my options. My current game plan entails working in Japan for a few years to gain some international experience and then probably making a return move to North America in the future.

The current working culture of Japan is that most people graduating out of universities tend to aim for large corporations for stability. These corporations end up training graduated in trade and in turn providing them with life long employment. This is (was?) the career life of your usual Japanese graduate.

I have already spent 3 weeks at a Japanese corporation known as Sumitomo Bakelite. I've commented about my experiences previously, doing rather boring work for 3 weeks and I have seen what boring work does to people-- it leads to mental decay. Hopefully in my search for a job, I will find an interesting place to work at. Over the next few weeks and months, it will be necessary for me to hash out a general work mind set to accomplish a set of general goals over throughout my working career.

The fundamental premises are:

Rule #1: never get stuck in a dead end job.
Rule #2: observe rule #1.

The long term plan will be to break the work clock-- I don't want to be paid by the hour, I want to be paid for by productivity. This too, I've mentioned previously during my internship post.

3 comments:

Wrazn said...

Yo J, would you believe that my Acer TravelMate 8002wLMI imploded today? Argh.

I went back to check your old entries - what happened with yours? Mine just decided that it wouldn't start up anymore; fan will go on, lights will blink on the front, but screen is dead and no whir of hard drive.

- C

Paladiamors said...

Wow you had and 8002? I had the 4001 laptop. Anyways, mine died after it kept crashing while I was streaming movies off an external hard disk and playing them on my computer while running Winamp. It seems that another friend of mine who also has an Acer encountered a similar problem, but it seems that he managed to fix it.

You can find his post here:

http://www.doubleblind.ca/2007/02/06/data-execution-prevention-crashes-systems/

When did you start encountering this problem? Were you streaming large files? Or did it just decide to not boot up anymore after you shut it down?

I ended up buying a new laptop after that fiasco. I took my old data and dumped it into the new HD.

Pass me more details when you can.

Wrazn said...

Oops, I got the numbers wrong. TravelMate 4002wLMI.

DVD drive died about 5-6 months ago. It started by making funny noises, and then wouldn't read discs.

Didn't really have too many boot problems unless I forgot to unplug my external hard drive. And then yesterday, tried to turn it on, it briefly showed the Acer screen, then shut down, and wouldn't start again.

Borrowing a computer for the next few weeks until I head home for a rotation; picking it up on Sunday. In the meantime, computerless.