Thursday, January 05, 2006

Sucks to be sick

I came down with a terrible stomach flu yesterday. I don't know how I got it, but it hit me like a 800 pound gorilla. I went to bed the night before and then I woke up the next day, horribly sick. If you would like to know, my stomach has atleast about a 2.0 litre capacity for food. Because I drank 1.5 liters of juice (something in Japan called Calpis which is a sweet yogurt drink) and had an apple for breakfast... then it all (and I mean *all*) came out. I was worried at one point that I'd clog up the sink, that bad. Muscle aches, fevers, strong stomach acid. Not a very plesant day it was yesterday.

That's the one thing I didn't really have my bases covered for life in Japan, me getting sick. All I had was a bottle of Aspirin I brought with me and some anti-biotics I kept around, given to me from a friend a while back. I would have gone out to buy some medicine but we had a wind storm in Sendai, took out the internet connection for the better part of the day.

As for today? I'm doing much better. Less pain, I can eat more bread and the fluids I drink stay mostly down. Picked up a book given to me by a friend and went through about 130 pages in about 2 hours. (I read at about 1 page/minute for a paperback). Started some downloads for some books to read on my computer and took a hot shower.

As for tomorrow? Well I hope I'm back to normal. I have a farewell party to attend. It seems to me that the stresses of Japanese life had gotten under the skin of one of the post docs here and sent his mind for a spin. I'll have to comment on my understanding of Japanese working life later on but for now... I need to get better.

2 comments:

Paladiamors said...

LOL hey, I like my juice. I have friends that can attest to my binge drinking of juice.

Now binge drinking. If you wanna learn about drinking then come to Japan (or even go to Mexico) where you pay $20~$25 for "all you can drink" (and I've seen people order rum by the pitcher)!

Paladiamors said...

Feeling much better now. the stomach is still weak and sensitive. I can't eat that much or else it doesn't want to digest. Kind of annoying really.

So you have one of those slow cook pots eh? Pretty cool. I think I saw them in Japan. Never used one before... but sounds like a pretty good idea. I might start eating breakfast again because of it(eaten breakfast 5 times in the last 3 months... pretty bad).

Oh those little yogurt bottles, yeah those are *really* good. Calpis is a little different though, it's a big bottle with a white kind of sweet drink inside. If you haven't tried it before, I get you to try it and whatever interesting Japanese food I can think of.