Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Costs of living in Japan (and on your own) and the value of time

I started logging data of living expenses in Japan since I arrived and now, 9 months later, here's a little something for me to show what living expenses in Japan look like. Click on the image below for a close up.
Currently the Canadian dollar is really strong at the moment meaning that $1 is equal to 100 yen. Over 9 months of living in Japan I have logged 1,136,142 yen worth of expenses. Factoring in the exchange rate, I've spent $11,261 CAD living on my own. On average, I've spent about $1,231/month. Just as a note, my real average is lower than this because I have included a trip to Taiwan in these expenses that ran me about $1,000 bucks for a week.

What have I learned from this data? Well on average, I am spending on average about $10 a day on food (this is with eating out nearly everyday since I can't find the time to cook as often anymore) and that rooming fees cost me about $160 a month (but that is because of the really cheap rent). I will be expecting this cost to increase by $200~$300 when I move out, thus reducing the amout of "disposable" income I will have to play with.

With this information in mind I am able to guess that it costs about $16,000 ish/year to live on your own somewhat comfortably (I could say that my living conditions are pretty comfortable). Just remember that I'm talking about after tax dollars here. Given that Canada (depending on your tax brackets) can hit tax ranges from 40% and 50% (as a guess), you're going to have to earn about $27,000/year (at 40% tax). Take this figure as a bare minimum since you're not saving any money into your bank account. Now, if you're looking to save some cash in your bank acct, say something like $500/month or $6,000/year, then you're going to have to earn $10,000/year extra at 40% tax. In total, you're going to have earn about $37,000/year (pre tax at 40%) under these conditions.

There is a great advantage to learning how to manage finances like this and that is knowing what NOT to buy. Just recently, a friend of mine is returning home to France and has a car to unload. The asking price is exceptionally cheap (read: $600 for the car). After adding insurance, tax, parking and gas over a 2 year period, I calculated that a car would run me an additional $200 bucks a month in costs. Suppose that you are currently saving $500 a month with your current income, you would realize that after buying a car (in this calculation, I didn't include the cost of just buying the car!) that your disposable funds would decrease by 40% (or say by about half!).

I have to say, I was very enticed by the purchase since I'm riding on a scooter through chilly winter air (in wind, rain, snow and more). Wouldn't it feel nice to ride in a car, that's heated, that can carry friends and large goods etc etc? For what it's worth, for all the time I spend travelling outside, taking a ball park 40% loss to disposable income isn't worth it. That's how the math works out.

There is more to this information than just knowing how to make purchases, but knowing how much you need to make (and as a result, what kinds of jobs you should aim for). The math from here on in to figure out what kind of wages you need to achieve say a $37,000/yr life (assuming a 40 hour work week) is about $18/hour. Compare that to what many malls pay university students (ie. In Japan, kids are paid $6~$7/hour for working in stores).

To be honest, it hurts to see people paid that low (and this is turning into another essay but I will continue a little further) because if you think of it like this, suppose that you want to make $100 bucks for a pair of new shoes. Ignoring tax, you're going to have to work 17 hours to get enough for that pair of shoes. Tell me, do you want to work 17 hours for a pair or shoes? I'd try to make my own if that were the case-- I'd come out with a pair of shoes and come out with the ability to make shoes. If there was something that we as people were never taught, it's how to value time.

With knowing how to value time, you also learn how to value yourself. Because if you want a basic $37,000/year life you're going to have to ask yourself "what can I do to bring $18/hour (or more) of value to people?" If you don't know how to answer this question, you'll be working for $7/hour for the rest of your life. *Value your time*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I accidentally stumbled upon your blog while researching on the net for my report. I'm also a graduate student studying in Japan, and found your stories entertaining. It provided me with a much needed break from the boring research I'm doing! Will try to visit your blog again from time to time.

Anonymous said...

cash is all relative... a comfortable lifestyle might take some time and effort to achieve... I was living "comfortably" while in Vancouver with very little expenses, one high paying job and one not so high paying job (but was more along the path of my career). When I moved out to Calgary to further pursue my chosen career my income was slashed by 48%! The first few months while I was on probation I was actually dipping into my savings to survive. Even now until my next upgrade at work I can expect to just "get by" putting a few bucks in the savings account each month, but not living it up either... the trade off... I'm doing something I love and I know there's better cash in the future. So I'm willing to take the hit now and live the not so great life for what I know will ultimately be a nice and comfortable life in the future, which is when I'm sure it will be needed more.. as right now I'm just a single bachelor supporting only myself. So yeah... I say cash is relative.

oh.. and happy new year Ho!

Paladiamors said...

Radrex: Interesting comment about the accomodations. In Sendai, it is pretty easy to find a room for about $400~$500 in rent (with utils) that comes with a kitchen in Japan. You'd probably get no kitchen even after paying $500~$600 in Vancouver.

As an aside, what are you eating everyday on a $120/month meal budget? Perhaps I should switch over to whatever you're having :P

Christine: Greetings, and welcome to my blog. If you also have a blog please feel free to post a link to me, I'd be interested in reading about your adventures in Japan. Where abouts are you located? I'm in Sendai, which is about 300 km North of Tokyo. Best of luck on your studies.

Matt: Heh thanks for the info. I'm at the cross roads of trying to figure out if I want to do my Ph.D or not. Another 3 years of study. What kind of returns I'll get from the degree, I'm not sure as of yet. Most of the masters students that entered the university with me at the same time have decided to end it at the masters and get a job. The other problem is also that many Ph.D students don't necessarly make a lot of money even after they graduate either!