Saturday, July 09, 2005

Licenced and etc...

Today was a most interesting day.

My driving records from Canada came in Wedensday. Usually I wouldn't need them for getting my licence transfered into the Japanese format but since I just had my licence renewed in Canada, the issued date was right before I left Canada. The problem being is that the Japnese requires that a licence to be valid in your home country for atleast 3 months (ie they don't want any newbie drivers on their roads). So after contacting the appropriate offices in CanadaI got my driving records, which have all traffic violaitions in the last 5 years and the original issue date of my licence. In the last 5 years, I only had one speeding ticket and that was getting caught in the hornet's nest comming off the UBC connector where the cops love taking in drivers.

After dealing with Japanese beauracracy in Japan, I have a profound appreciation of the Canadian licencing offices. Applications for licence transfers are only accepted between 1:00 and 1:30 pm. Why oh WHY do they only accept applications during a 30 minute window of opportunity, I have no clue. I've also been warned that they are sticklers for the time limit. Come in 5 minutes too late and you're out of luck-- come back tomorrow. In Canada whenever I needed something done, I just go there directly and it is dealt with on the spot. End of story.

Getting a licence in Japan the usual Japanese way is painful. The whole ordeal takes minimum 1 day (that's if you're lucky!). Sign up only occurs in the morning. A written test is taken, paper work is filled, you attend seminars and in the afternoon the driving tests occur and not before. They even have a cafeteria in the office for people going through the process. When testing happens and if you pass great (most people don't pass on the first try here); if not, come back tomorrow. What a waste of time.

In Canada, you just phone in and setup at time for the road test and that's it. Waiting and paper work is minimal. The written test is only required for the learner's permit. It's a huge difference in terms of wasted time. Absolutely mind boggling.

Aside from being amazed at beauracratic inefficiencies, I did have the nice opportunity of meeting up with some English teachers from NY and California while waiting in the office. We exchanged numbers and we'll be in touch. They've been teaching in Japan for about a year now and have a nice network for foreigners setup. Keen on events and fun, definately a great way to meet people.

On my way home, I picked up a new pair of shoes for oh about $70 bucks since my current set is falling apart. Also got something like a Japanese summer kimono for $15, I'll post pictures of it soon after I have a chance to wear it.

On the way home I stopped by the used scooter shop to check on prices and ran into a really friendly mechanic. We ended talking about a lot of things. Things like philosophy, culture exchange, history and etc. He's really keen on learning some English from me and is really enthusiastic about teaching me some Japanese history and culture. Totally awesome, exchanged phone numbers and going to meet up with him on Sunday to show me some scooters. Right now they just got a new batch of scooters that they're fixing so I'm pretty happy about that.

Came back to the dorm, ran into Diego and Kim (from Korea). Headed out to grab some Japanese noodles at a really great restaurant. The place was on TV a while back and I can attest to that the Ramen was really, really good. $8 bucks for a big bowl but I was more than happy with the quality.

Came home and crashed. Dropped by Olen's room to see what he was up to (supposedly there was a movie night planned but that's on hold due to lots of work on his end). I asked if he'd be willing to teach me to ride a scooter (he's an avid biker back in the US :) which he was more than happy to oblige.

A large group of people at the dorms here on a 1 year exchange program are preparing to move out in the next 2 months. Exams are comming up and people are doing their best to balance work and fun during their last leg in Japan. I'll be sad to see them go. I've only been here for 3 months now and will now have to deal with departing friends. Time is short, always make the best what you have...

No comments: