Thursday, July 07, 2005

Geepers Peepers... where'd you get those eyes~

Hi Everyone, I'm still alive over here dispite not posting for the last few days. I've been incredibly busy running around. By the time I get home sometimes, I just don't have that urge to think and write things down anymore. Today was a much more relaxed day. After running errands, I got home at 5:00 pm terribly hungry, prepared food, cooked for 1 hour and my body decided to tell me that it wasn't that hungry in the first place. Bah. I ate a little anyways and took a nap.

Now on to today's topic: eyes. In Vancouver, nearly everyone I know wears glasses. Take a sample of 10 friends, perhaps 8 or 9 of them will be wearing glasses or contacts (or the general term I like using is "occular enhancers"). That was pretty much the norm. I on the other hand am a weird exception that I don't wear glasses I am also sometimes refered to as "eagle eyes" in some occasions. Before comming to Japan I had my eyes tested for some proceedure they needed. The result came out that I had about 20/19 vision.

Just as a note here. According to this webpage, 20/20 vision is supposed to be the "average" distance a person can read an 8 mm tall letter at a range of approx 10 meters. Either people's vision have changed with time or people in Vancouver have bad eyesight, could be either/or or possibly a combination of the two, who knows.

Anyways, for my Japanese listening class, we watched a documentary on glasses. It turns out that 49% of Japanese people wear either contacts or glasses from a sample of high school students (I thought that was low) where as the US high school students were at 25%.

As it turns out, some foreigners moving into Japan from places like the US that didn't wear glasses found that they had to start wearing glasses after a few years of Japanese study because Japanese characters (Kanji in particular) due to eye strain complicated characters. After a quick survey of people in my class, it was the feeling of people in France, Russia and Sweeden that the majority of their population did not wear glasses. Asian students from China indicated that a high percentage wore glasses. A possible factor of bad eye sight could be from complicated Asian character sets versus English letters.

The resarch followed up on eye usage when reading and found that people reading Kanji tend to focus their eyes on the characters closely during reading which is a possibility for eye strain. People reading English do not tend to focus on specific letters closely. Actually, it has been said that (recall if you've seen that funny e-mail that went around with nothing but spelling mistakes) people reading English can distinguish words by the general forms and glancing at the first and last letters of the word; people use this method sometimes to skim text. I tend to look at word shapes and pay less attention to individual characters. As a result, I am quite famous for my poor spelling.

After watching the documentary, I hypothesize that people that wear occular enhancers, in general, are more detail oriented people compared to people that do not. Of course, metrics are required to measure how "detailed" a person is (quantifying a quality is a little tricky and I hope you have an appreciation of my use of italics and boldface in the previous emphasis). But if I were to wave my hand at this argument, 'detailed-ness' could be measures in terms of how well a person can make plans with minimal deviations or how in depth they notice change in environments. It would be interesting to see if there is a correlation.

Comming from a person that doesn't wear glasses, I can tell you that this much-- I am really, really bad at details (do I really need to give examples? Naaaahhh). Keep your eyes peeled on this hypothesis and see for your self :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice that you make a lot of "hand-waving" comments...and thinking back, you did a lot of general hand-waving back in Canada too! just a thought :)

anyways, despite the workload, sounds like you are having a lot of fun and going on a lot of adventures....soooo envious! *sigh* but I've decided to forego that route: contact in Las Vegas, in favour of staying here. (which I know that you would advise against). still, it's a choice, and I've decided on mini adventures instead.

since I have to live vicariously through you now, live it up, hehe.

hugs,
Delia

Paladiamors said...

Radrex:

Well come on. 7 hours of classes is nothing, true.. meaning of course I'm doing other things during the other time.

I'm working on getting a thesis, running around trying to get my driver's licence... and going around the city by bike, teaching, grocery shopping etc etc.

Just for reference, professors at my lab regularly work from 9:00 am to midnight. Students are often there to 11:00 pm. I'll comment more about lab life later on :)

Dee:

Really great to read from you. How are you doing? Send me an e-mail sometimes :) Las Vegas sounds like an interesting place though even I wouldn't want to head out there to teach just out of personal taste.

Tell me about your mini adventures when you have the chance. All the best!

doris said...

iiiiiiinteresting thought

though I have to say if you ever included me in your study I might skew your results (or be one of those dots far off away from the trendline.

Eyesight: terrible
Detailedness: ??? questionable...

Paladiamors said...

LOL. Well you do have a keen eye for art and you were ofc Prez of Fizz at one point. I dunno, seems like you were good a dealing with the fine print there :)