Monday, April 29, 2013

Digitizing documents

One thing I've grown to have a liking for are document scanners. When I was a university student, the only kinds of documents that I ever needed to worry about keeping were my study notes.

Growing up had required me to keep track of letters of employment, rent contracts, insurance policies and more. One thing that I've noticed is that every 2.5 years, I tend to move to somewhere new to live and with that, my heaviest objects to move around are books and paper documents.

I still have my university notebooks and binders of research papers. I keep them around as a link to my past and inside them are all sorts of ideas that I've scrawled upon my notes while in class. Even though I nearly never look at my notes, I take comfort that they are with me, though I do feel that they do take up a lot of space. I've been lugging around the same book case that I've bought since living in Sendai for the last 7~8 years and the book case has become full for quite some time. I've not started stacking more documents on the very top of the book case and sometimes on flat on top of my books and binders.

Rather than solving a systemic problem by buying a second book case, I've decided to go a different route and bought a scanner with an auto-document feeder. I'll finally be able to scan volumes of documents and have multiple digital backups of these documents.

One thing that has surprised me though is that even with being able to scan so many documents is that I have yet to find a decent reader that is able to allow me to go through digital documents with equivalent or greater ease than my paper documents (going through different pages is still sometimes slow).

I think there ought to be something out there for this.

No comments: