Monday, August 01, 2011

In Cambodia

This is probably out of the blue, but I am in Cambodia right now. My work had a scheduled 1 week shut down of the office and facilities as a result of power conservation efforts in Tokyo. Apparently, companies have a sort of power usage limit between now and until mid-September and going over the power limit will result in fines based on the number of hours a company is over the limit. There are other details but I won't bother getting into them as it will probably detract from the main contents of this post, as in me being in Cambodia.

Dispite backpacking through South-East Asia 3 years ago, Cambodia is one country that was on my list to goto, but I never made it to because of time constraints. This time around, with the 1 week holiday from work I would go and hit Hanoi and Siem Reap to see the Angkor Wat temples. After a bit of a turbulent jounrey from Vietnam to Cambodia (not to mention that they also block facebook there), here I am in Cambodia and I have some pretty positive things to say about the country.

The people are incredibly warm and after getting out of the airport there weren't a bunch of taxis waiting outside waiting to over charge travelers to get into the city. We also had a tuk-tuk (a motorbike connected to a sort of trolley) that waited patiently even as my flight into the country was delayed by 2 hours. Compared to other SE-asian countries, there is a lot less price gouging here; then again, the cost of living here compared to other countries is so much cheaper that even if they raised prices, I might not even notice.

The price for a dish or something from a local stall ranges in the $1-$2 range, a foot massage for 30 mins is $2.5 and a full body massage for 30 mins is $3, just to put things in to perspective. Staying at really nice hotel runs for about $30/day, which is really reasonable. My imagination runs wild with the idea of running off here and not returning to work for simply years while staying out here.

The other nice thing about people here is that they are generally good natured and even if they can't get a sale out of you, they still are nice to you. Which is a rather nice touch. One of the guides I met is only but a teenager but has managed to learn a really good level of Japanese through 1.5 year of study and acts as a guide for many Japanese tourists that come out here. The determination I've seen in some of the youths here is simply astounding.

There is one sad thing that I've felt while being here is that there is a huge influx of tourists in Siem Reap and it feels like that many of them are just here for the cheap thrills of a country with a really low cost of living- there are some people out here that I've see that I would have a hard time imagining getting anything of value from visiting the angkor wat temples and at the same time, it feels a little sad that the locals are doing their best to cater to these people through the creation of bars and restaurants to turn a profit-- a perfectly good environment being ruined by the influx of money through the western world... and that was probably the most profound insight I had while walking around the city today. I took a bunch of photos, but haven't had the chance to download and sort them yet. Hopefully, I'll have some time to do so later on.

No comments: