Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On preparing to move

There are hidden costs (and benefits) to everything. I've been living in the company dorms for the past 3 years and by virtue of the age limit I am moving out by the end of the week to my own place. Leaving is a blessing because despite the savings in rent ($200 monthly), I probably have incurred plenty of social costs by living in the dorms. As a result of living in the company dorms, I am far away from Tokyo and can't invite guests over because of the building rules. As a result, I only see friends when invited to an event or when I host something elsewhere.

One part to living is the social aspects of living is knowing people and being able to do things/interact with them. The living conditions up until now have prevented me from doing as much as I would like to have done. Though in retrospect, I did end up doing more traveling around Japan from the savings from really cheap rent.

I have managed to find an apartment just outside of Tokyo, a brand new building and I will be the first tenant into my apartment. It is a fairly spacious 1 room apartment with an insulated floor and I have managed to select a corner room, where to one side is a wall shared with the outside and the other wall is shared with an elevator, meaning that I have free reign to play music and watch movies as loud as I would like and am incredibly happy about this.

I face one other dilemma; in that the room is really spacious and I would like to buy some nice furniture go into where I live. The problem I fear is having too many large belongings that eventually tie me down to a place.

The best solution I can come up with so far is to make more money to make the costs of buying the furniture insignificant to my income, making what I buy "disposable."

 

No comments: