Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The balance of living in a one room apartment

Another 3 days to move into the apartment and packing is underway. The number of belongings are less than expected; I regret not haggling with the moving company for an even cheaper price. I looked up the weather this weekend and there is a 50% chance of rain. I've never had to move in the rain before and it will be interesting to see how the moving company deals with it.

I did some more research last weekend and found out that renting a truck for a day was 8000 yen compared to the moving fee of 40,000 yen that I am paying. The only catch is though my driver’s license in Japan allows me to drive stick shift, I have little experience at it (perhaps 2~3 times). I would be interested in renting a manual car and learning stick because saving 30,000 yen for a single day's work is worth the effort.

I spent the last weekend looking at furniture for the new room as it will be a much bigger compared to what I have now. I can fit a sofa, bed, a desk and my weight training machine and the question is, do I really want to buy so many things? One of the things that I really liked about living light on belongings is that it is easy for move around (though I haven't been taking advantage of that).

Though it has been tempting to buy furniture in advance and have everything arrive on the same day, I have decided that it would be better to live in an empty space first to get a feel for the room before loading it up with stuff; I would rather have bought things to realize that it doesn't fit in well with the room. I'll be pretty happy with moving as it'll be really nice to be able to invite friends over.

No comments: