Sunday, March 13, 2011

CNN's coverage of the Earthquate is crapy

I generally abhor news reporting just because they always focus on disaster, scandal and damage all the time. Maybe it is an American thing, but for the first time in a long while, I am currently at a friend's house watching the news with a Japanese news feed and CNN's news feed side by side. And I have to say, I am in awe of how shoddy CNN's reporting is. Nothing but the same clips of the Fukushima explosion over and over again, exceptionally dumbed down explanation (read, elementary level?) explanation of a nuclear power plant and more. I am surprised that they do not have any bilingual reporters translating and reporting on the direct press conferences from the Japanese government.

Though the Japanese news stations, through do replay some clips of the damage out here, I am far more aware of the evacuation process and the condition of people around the Sendai area; which I think is far more important compared to just talking about the "massive damage" from the earthquake.

News organizations have too much power over the way people form their opinions about the world and I don't think they are good enough to handle that kind of responsibility.

No comments: