Friday, January 28, 2011

Stand close to the edge to prepare for change

There has to be one point in your life where you are willing to put your self on the line and be ready to accept failure as a path to success. To be honest, there are many more things I want now than I have the means to have. I want to be young and successful, (possibly even rich), I want to live in a nice fancy apartment for a while and have the drive and freedom to create a successful venture.

I have looked at my financial numbers for the last few years. They are pretty good, better than most for people in Japan at least, but it isn't sufficient for me. I can do better. Nearly all the successful people I know, the routes to their rise have never been through the traditional paths, there is something different about them. I used to be like that at one point when I was younger, but I fear, that the edge that I once had has become somewhat dull.

I can't say that I blame the system for that, the system is what it is and it really is my choice to go with it or not. To be honest, I've stopped caring about what it is about. It's not a Japanese thing, it's not a North American thing or a corporate thing, the system is simply what everyone else does, which to me is the most eloquent way for me to describe it.

I have to move out of the company dorms within the next few months and from there I can expect my savings rate to decrease, meaning that raising capital for me to do things will be harder in the future... which also reminds me that I still have to look through my data from last year. I've gone through most of it but haven't finished putting a sort of report together.

I also have the issue of time to deal with; where I want to be allocating my time. I do want to get back into investing, but don't have the time to look deeply as I would like to in the market. I also want to pick up on my programming skills to get into the foray into the world of online services, eventually going independent. I also want to take the level 1 Japanese Language Proficiency Test, the highest level Japanese test so I have the piece of paper certifying that I am proficient with my Japanese. At the same time, I do also want to balance my social life, work out and spend time reading too.

I've starting reading a Japanese book about life past 35 in conjunction about the economic conditions in Japan, some ideas of marriage, family, preparation for the future and the state of social security. It's a challenging read, but I am happy that I am actually able to grasp most of what they say. But I think all of the advice is the same though, mainly that you should be prepared to depend on your self as depending on social programs is dubious. One comment the author made in the book is that one's 30's is probably best defined by sacrifices. I turn 30 this year and I can already tell that I just don't have time to do everything and that my time now is incredibly important. More so than I was in my early-mid 20's.

Maybe I never tasted the sweet taste of success the right way when I was younger to push myself like the young entrepreneurs of some of the hot start up companies that are out there right now. But having that hunger now, is terribly important, the sooner that I make time now, the more dividends it pays off in the future.

Time is of the essence.

No comments: