Sunday, January 16, 2011

Live Deliberately

I made a post earlier about avoiding distractions to improve productivity. Things like youtube and social bookmarking sites can be a total time sink as it is easy to bounce from video to video or link to link. For the most part, not all articles are all that mentally nurturing, but there is a strange addiction to wanting to see or read more. Some call this a sort of "information addiction," others call this a resistance of the mind to change context and do other things, whatever the problem is called, I would be more happy to be rid of this issue.

Of the times that I have been most productive, I've noticed that I had concrete deadlines and my actions were exceptionally deliberate at getting the the tasks to get whatever I needed done. Without that level of focus, it is too easy for the mind to wander around and randomly do unproductive things.

I've started a new habit of shutting down the computer while not using it as it was too easy for me to find myself clicking on firefox and browsing around the internet aimlessly. By shutting down the computer, I am forcing myself to think and define exactly what I want to do before powering the system up. Without a concrete task defined, it is too easy to just start goofing off. So far, I have found that this is effective, though I hope my mind doesn't decide to find work arounds to this habit. I have noticed that I have been turning to my iPhone for some light browsing, but the magnitude of what I can look at is a little more limited compared to reading things on the computer (though the iPhone still does a pretty good job in it self).

By forcing my mind to think about what I want to do before doing something, it has made me realize that many things that I used to do was simply a result of me following random urges to use the computer or do things to kill time. A lot of the bad habits I have gone unnoticed and being more deliberate about my actions is helping me pick up on these habits.

I am also trying to keep track of what I've been spending time on to help me identify on what I am spending my time on to determine if there are more optimal ways of allocating my time. If I can do this with my annual expenditures (of which I still need to publish) then I should be able to track my time as well. As the saying goes, "time is money," thus I should treat is as a valuable resource.

No comments: