Friday, January 01, 2010

4 Days and 3 nights in Okinawa

This trip was planned as sort of a get away from the Tokyo and to finally do some vacationing after the long hours I've been doing at work as a chance to go somewhere and relax for a few days. At first, I was looking into getting out of the country so somewhere warm like Bali, Indonesia or somewhere but unfortunately to my dismay, most of the tickets were booked up. By a stroke of luck, I managed to find a travel package to Okinawa with a return ticket, 1 days of accommodation and 4 days worth of car rental included for about $320 and so I was hooked. This is even cheaper compared to just directly booking a round ticket from Okinawa as the tickets themselves would have ran me $360.

Okinawa is probably best described as the Hawaii of Japan, though the Okinawan islands aren't as developed as Hawaii. The islands are fairly south of Japan, putting them in the tropics or sub-tropics region of the equator with temperatures for December ranging in the low 20 Celsius range.

A Map of Okinawa ripped of some guy's webpage

The Okinawan islands have an interesting history given that they are the most southern islands in Japan, having been used in trade between Korea, China, Malaysia and other countries in South East Asia. As a result, the Okinawan culture has many Chinese influences, especially from what I saw in the historical buildings and castles I saw.

Shurijo Castle, Center of Government and Religious activities in Okinawa during the 14th Century (source: Wikipedia)

The throne room

The color red is obviously prominent here, red representing good luck and prosperity in Chinese culture. All other castles in Japan generally do not use the red but rather black and white instead.

As a result of close relations with countries in South East Asia, it is often said by the Japanese living in Tokyo and else where that Okinawa is sort of like a different country. From what I have heard, the culture and language can be quite different from standard Japanese as a result from trade with other countries. Older people in Okinawa apparently speak the Okinawan dialect of Japanese, for which most ordinary Japanese people wouldn't be able to understand. However, during my travels in Okinawa, I didn't find that to be the case as most people spoke standard Japanese.

The weather I experienced for the first 2 days was excellent with plenty of sun. I had a chance to explore the outdoors. The beaches in Okinawa were what you would expect from an island in the tropics. Very clear/transparent blue seas.

Left: The first white sandy beach I found, Right: Looking down at the water from the top of a cliff, below are corals

The ocean was great to look at but unfortunately the weather didn't hold out for me to find and book a diving trip. When it comes to weather dependent activities, I don't usually like to book in advance in case the weather goes sour. But it would have been a great experience. From what I am told, Okinawa is in the world's top 5 best diving spots. I will have to make a note to come back again to do some diving.

The fauna found in around the island was very tropical looking with palm, banana and papaya trees accentuating the tropical environment. The island it self also appeared to be formed through a volcanic process as some parts of the island had incredibly jagged rock formations near the coast though I wasn't aware of any dormant volcanoes on the island which might have given the impression that you were on another planet.


Left: Palm tree boulevards, Right: Jagged rock formations by the coast

Onwards from the landscape and onwards to food, Okinawa is well known for both their pork and seafood. Though I still am not sure what is generally considered traditional Okinawan cooking, I did have some Okinawan esque cooking while driving around.


Left: Okinawan Soba, Right: A buffet at a cafe

One of the things that was listed in the tour guides I've read was to try out Okinawan Soba, which after eating, was like a cross between soba and udon. The noodles in the soup were thicker and chewier compared to ordinary soba reminding me of udon noodles. The noodles are topped with stewed pork which were quite good. The image on the upper right was a buffet I had at a rather nice cafe, consisting of an assortment of rice, fried chicken, cooked seaweed and fried bitter melon. Bitter melon is apparently, one of those things that tourists ought to try when coming out to Okinawa. I personally thought that bitter melon was something that you couldn't find in Tokyo, but apparently after going to the grocery store just yesterday, I managed to find it in the produce section. If you are wondering what bitter melon is, the image below should give you a good idea, it is also often used in Chinese soups.


Chinese bitter melon

A place where I had a good time looking around on Okinawa was at one of the large markets on "International Street" in Naha, the largest city in Okinawa. The market sells a variety of goods like clothes, bags and food. The food market stood out the most to me.

Being the city slicker that I am, I've generally bought my produce in shrink wrapped packages and brought them home, as most ordinary people would do. The island being well known for their pork and seafood, sells their meats in large chunks compared to what most ordinary grocery stores do. It was a very fascinating sight to see.


Meat for sale at the meat market

It's probably been a while since I've had the chance to see stacks of pork bellies like these in a long while as I probably bet that there are a few places back home which sells meats like these, just by looking at them, they already look much more delicious compared to the usual store packaged meats.

While walking around the markets, I also managed to run unto a "salt shop," selling a variety of different salts from all over the island and around the world. If there was one thing I noticed about salt used in Japan compared to salt in North America is that Japanese salt is much "saltier." In other words, if you're cooking in Japan and you use the same amount of salt that you would usually use in Canada, you're going to be in for one salty meal. I never did dig into that much more since coming to Japan but the clerk at the store was nice enough to give me a nice explanation of all the different tasting salts.


Left: Snow salt found in Okinawa, Right: A section of different salts found in Japan

Of the salts they had, the the salts were ranked on a "smooth to sharp," sharp being "very salty" and smooth being mild. After sampling a few different salts, they recommended to me that sharp salts are generally good for seasoning seafood, which is predominantly used in Japan. The smoother salts are generally used in western cooking. After tasting a few of the smoother kinds of salts, I'd have to say that you want to use those in foods like pop corn, but would want to steer clear of using the sharper salts in a similar situation.

It was a very educational experience through it is the only place that I have ever gone to that has rated the differences in the salts. In all, they had about 50 different basic salts at the store and also a wide variety of mixed salts with herbs.

The last 2 days of the trip was spent visiting some of the old war museums as Okinawa was a very major battle front before the surrender of Japan. Casualties of this battle was very lopsided with the Japanese losing 110,000 compared to the US losing 12,000 soldiers, nearly a 10:1 ratio. One of the reasons for this lopsided victory was that much of the natively living populations on the islands were conscripted into the war effort, even the Japanese school girls being sent into service by attending to the wounded. I did some see some old relics such as old torpedoes and very rusted war equipment.

In general, Okinawa was a nice place to visit, but not as resort-like as I imagined it to be. Many of the buildings looked a bit past their time and traffic over there is a pain as the train system is not as developed compared to the central parts of Japan. Actually, I find traveling by train to be something pleasant compared to going around by car because I know exactly when I'll be able to make it to some place, though it isn't as liberating as being to take a car anywhere.

As a place to live, though the culture is a little more laid back and rural compared to most parts of Japan, it isn't a place I would want to stay for long periods of time. Other than the touring, there isn't a whole lot to do. It was a good trip and if there is a good travel deal, I may fly out to visit again for some diving.

3 comments:

sagecaptain said...

would like to visit there someday,

Angie said...

I might be move to Japan to live for few years. Looking at the meat market pictures make me want to move there. Would you give more information about the food prices ? how much is $1 in Yen ? Do you have to bargain the food price when you go to food market ?

Paladiamors said...

Angie, Japan is a fun place to live, and nope you don't have to bargain for food at all.

$1 in yen? Which dollar? You can easily look it up in google finance.