Monday, November 30, 2009

A day off to do nothing

I decided to have the day off today and it's great. Turns out that if I worked today, I would have over run my over time limit and since I maxed out my over time hours already, I might as well take the day off and expect a nice pay cheque for this month's work.

I woke up at 10 am for once, which was nice as I've been starting work at either 8 or 7 am recently. Just because it is hard to get machine time other wise. Everyone likes to work late so I've decided to in the other direction to start early, use all of the busy machines and switch over to the less busy equipment later in the day. This method of working does wonders because I don't have to waste the day waiting for equipment to become available.

Things have been so busy as of late that I haven't had the time to catch up on doing a lot of small things like cleaning the room, going out and buying things like new socks or what not since I just don't feel like doing too much after coming home from work; it might be some exercise in my room while watching a few episodes off West Wing on the computer.

One of the nice things about having a weekday off is that no one else is available, meaning that I have plenty of time to concentrate to do things like program instead of getting dragged out (which isn't a bad thing of course). It's so much easier to concentrate on a project when you have an entire day to dedicate to it, instead of doing something after work. I've started to understand why people mention that it's really hard to work on something like a startup while working for an ordinary company. It takes free time and concentration to make something, which is something that I don't have a whole lot of after work.

Though I usually have a few hours of relaxation time before I go to bed after work, if I can get focused enough, I might be able to use those hours for something productive. So I'm going to try and see how that goes.

1 comment:

Kirby said...

Hi Justin,
It's Brian Kirby. I don't know if you remember me well, but I was in the Kaikan at Tohoku University when you first moved in. I was a JYPE student.

Anyway, I was wondering if you had any advice for me if I wanted to work for a Japanese company in Japan.

I didn't get a master's at Tohoku like you did. After the JYPE program, I went back to the USA and got a master's in computer science & engineering at the University of Michigan. Right now, I'm working for IBM.

That seemed to be all fine and good, but I really miss Sendai, sometimes, and it would be really cool to live in Japan, again...

So, I guess I was curious if you had any general advice for me in terms of working in Japan. I'd prefer to work in software engineering like I am now, if I had the choice.

Do you think that there's any way that I'd be able to work in Japan?