Saturday, October 31, 2009

OS Upgrade: Ubuntu 9.10

This is the fastest OS upgrade I've ever done.

I downloaded the newest version of Ubuntu last night and made a bootable USB stick. I nuked the old OS partition (note: I keep my profiles directory and data on a different partition) and then fired up the installer and told the installer where my profile directory was.

The computer got rebooted and all of my software settings (and most of the preinstalled software I use) just came back online without a hitch. Simply amazing.

I used to spend a half-day doing OS upgrades, where I pulled out CD after CD to install software and then configure everything and reload settings. I just opened firefox and thunderbird and all my bookmarks and e-mail settings were just there. I probably had the whole OS upgraded in about 20 minutes and installed a few extra programs (which can be done in a batch btw) and that was it.

The computer response is far better than I had with Ubuntu 9.4, so far, I haven't had any of the sound problems (yet), open office and flash seem to be running much smoother now.

I haven't timed the how long the computer boots up, but I am up and running from a cold start in about 30 seconds. All in all, I am a pretty happy camper now.

No comments: